According to the IRS>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by striker, Apr 7, 2015.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    OK can we please stop calling it per diem? Truckers don't get per diem in the same sense that everyone else uses; we get the standard meal allowance which covers only meals and incidental expenses (tips). It does not include showers, laundry, hotels*, etc. Those can all be deducted in addition to the standard meal allowance.

*If the hotel includes meals, that portion of the hotel bill is not deductible if you concurrently claim the SMA.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Have retained a tax atty., essentially, the IRS is attempting to disallow all of my business related deductions and many of my medical for TY 2011, and ahead. Rough guesstimate if I don't fight them on this, I'll owe about $3,800 in tax, interest and penalties for 2011. If they go after 2012, 2013 and 2014 and disallow, that number could quickly hit well north of $15,000 that I owe. Tax Atty. I am retaining is familiar with this specific IRS drone, he's dealt with her before. He figures I will still end up owing some money (I'm missing several receipts due to a crashed computer which everything was digitally stored on), but he's going to try and get it reduced to Zero and fight her tooth and nail.

I don't get a per diem, never have, never will, not something the company wants to even mess with, I have a letter from the company stating what they will and will not reimburse for, and it's only for items directly related to the truck or the operation of the company if I have to pay for something out of pocket.

4. glockwise

glockwise Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2014
    You always crack me up...

per diem=per day

standard meal allowance is the alternative method to recording actual expenses. In most cases, you're still limited to the per diem rate. Everyone claiming travel is under the same rules with some exceptions. US26 ss 274 (n)(3)(A) &(B) specifically is the exceptions for individuals subject to the "DOT hours of service regulations".

The only thing different from truckers and everyone else is the percentage of the daily rate is increased in (A) and increased further over a few years (B).

Road Killer and atlasshruggery Thank this.
  5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Obviously.

When used by tax professionals, "per diem" includes lodging & meals. What truckers call per diem (80% of $59/day) covers only meals.

Road Killer and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Learned something new a couple of days back, each drone at the IRS has a different view of what is or isn't a day. Current drone I'm dealing with calculates that I was gone 56 full days, but 205 partial days. One example she used, I left the yard at 2am on a Sunday, got back at 11 pm on a Weds. According to her, I was 3 days, not 4 days. Her math, because I left after midnight, I could have eaten breakfast at 12:30 am when I got up, and that I could have eaten dinner at 11:30 pm when I got home. Thus, she counted Sunday and Weds. as partial days, adding them together makes it a full day, thus three days, not 4. On another run, I left at 4 am on Monday, got home at 11:45 pm on Tuesday, tax atty. counts that as two days, she counts it as 1.5 days.

Thus, the original amount that the IRS office in Philly calculated as my deduction, she reduced by 20% by changing a bunch of full days to partial days. Yep, the tax atty. and I have a long way to go.

Road Killer and jrotra Thank this.
  7. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Good luck,I imagine it could be anyone of us in your shoes.

And for the record,my name is John Doe and I live in LA. lol

Road Killer Thanks this.
  8. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Company drivers can write off a portion of cell phone bill. If the company you work for doesn't have qual com in the truck I've been writing it off for years now nobody even questiones it.

Road Killer and atlasshruggery Thank this.
  9. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

You fall under the Transportation part - MI&E, not per diem.

Page 6, middle column, towards the bottom. "For both the day you depart and the day you return from a business trip, you must prorate the Standard Meal Allowance."

They are correct. Since you left Sunday (after midnight), you only rate a prorated portion. Wed since you got back before midnight you only rate a prorated portion. Even if you got back after Midnight you would rate a full day for Wed and a prorated portion for Thurs.

80% of the $59 for the full days away.
    75% of the $59 for the returning/leaving.

Cell phones - figure out the % of business calls versus % personal calls and then times the % against your base bill. Even if you have a QC, you cannot call a customer on the QC.

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    This is one of those areas where being a corporation has it's advantages. The corporation provides the cell phone, the XM radio subscription, the internet connection, the per diem, the shower costs as an employee expense reimbursement.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  11. atlasshruggery

atlasshruggery Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    I can't see them making an issue out of the per diem, unless you are getting per diem pay from your company. The code is quite clear, that drivers are allowed a per diem deduction. As far as cellphones, according to the tax code, you can deduct half of the bill, and 100% of the device price.
    This is something any agent would know. So I suggest checking this ladies credentials, or being open with her. If you are recieiving per diem through your company, tell her it was a mistake and you didn't know. As others said, get a tax attorney.
    In the future, keep all receipts, and detail them, also get your logs, and medical bills ready. And for GODS sake, don't do your own taxes if you are itemizing.
    Any reputable tax accountant would go to court if their prepared returns are questioned.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Road Killer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.