Actual miles vs. Computer miles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Long FLD, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I hope someday we can work on a flat salary for time in the truck, and miles are just a bonus.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Even a first grader can probably figure a route to within inches now with modern technology. Change can be very difficult for this industry, either many do not care because that is the way it has always been but that is crazy not to know your route with all the side trips that you may take. But I take the shorting as asking the workers to work this extra bit with no pay while demanding they record the times correctly basic robbery.

SidewaysBentHalo and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    HHG household goods or short miles are zip code to zip code, so theoretically no miles are possible for adjacent postal codes, practical miles is closer, odometer or hub miles are actual miles driven.

We run odometer, and choose routes, within reason.

Longer hauls run closer to actual on either hhg or practical.

x1Heavy and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Exactly. How can they state miles over places with no roads? Very unfair.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    OUCH !! I'd have an issue with that.

I get hub miles. I try to run the shortest route, but I'm not cutting through cow pastures, or knocking tree limbs down and scraping rock walls to save a few miles when there is a much better route available.

Common sense kicks in.. I have a good boss that knows that.

x1Heavy and Trucking in Tennessee Thank this.
  7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I've found that buy usiing my atlas (remember that paper map thing) I can find the route that zip to zip is paying for. And if I go that way I come pretty darn close to the same mileage. Problem is screw that route. It' always highway x for 200 miles then state route y for 100 miles and back onto highway x. (Shorter miles but longer time, plus slow down thru towns and red lights)

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    2 of us went around 270 miles to the same destination, some 2 lane and some 4 lane, I took the slower route, which has no construction and left after him, and still got there before he did.

There are lots of things to consider. The third route took longer than the normal route because there were detours for that, too.

9. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Another quick example. Nashville to Columbia, Tn. 63 miles on my odometer. They paid 40, like I'm a freaking plane or something.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That’s fine if they’re paying 80 cpm and/or lots of other accessorial pay. If not, I personally would not put up with that BS. But most places will also pay a minimum on what some might regard as shag pay on anything under a 100 miles.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  11. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    It's actually a reputable company. I need something to look good on my resume, so just have to endure. They really don't do fuel perks, but some safety stuff. We'll see. Sure beats not working, and got a really nice ride.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.