Actual miles vs. Computer miles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Long FLD, Jul 7, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know how many times Ive gone say across the Pike in PA (Wtih tolls to boot) with the routing says I-68 that has piles of snow on top and ice at the bottom on 5 passes while the pike is clear with rain.

Sure it's expensive but how expensive does the company want to be calling me a tow or three to recover the rig off a mountain in WVa... Even better, it's making time in the rain with luck. I would bypass the whole midwest in KY to boot.

Now the west. Ugh. I guess I have been off road more than not. It makes no sense. Some of the smaller towns still rely on 50's concrete.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I do whatever I can to stay out of those. Any time dispatcher sprouts those low numbers, I tell them to call carolina and let them have it with their day cabs. There is a period of silence and then they ask what are you saying?

You want this tractor trailer to work three days loading, driving, unloading for 100 stupid miles. The last time I ever did something like that ATS sent me 215 miles with 5 days to deliver into VA beach. It's been decades now and Im still steaming over that lost week and the wasted potential revenue etc. What did they think I needed? Sleep time in a semi hell no. But that is what I got. But I caurosed for 4 days and barely made it in the last 18 miles on the 5th hung over and everything. But don't tell them that. HA.

That is the end of my one paragraph rant.

it's one thing in local day cab flatbedding to do 60 miles or bulk tanking most especially. The mindset of work is better. But a great big OTR sleeper truck with 300 gallons and so on for 100 piddiling miles. That must be some revenue to that company to do it.

A very long time ago Baltimore used to do what we called Drayage. Anything less than say 600 miles was paid this much. If it was 50 miles or 500. It still paid that much. Everyone knew that. I wondered what happened to that type of ruling or if it went away with the old regulations.

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    To be fair it was a deadhead run to get a backload. I just know I am being shorted on every run using that HHG formula.

5. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    I ask for mileage on any load that takes me more than 30 minutes longer than their mileage.
    So far I’ve always gotten it.

6. Truckdrivingtrailerpuller

Truckdrivingtrailerpuller Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Barstow built a McDonalds with truck parking it is basically a SIN not to stop.

7. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    I feel the pain. Just ran 720 mi for permitted route last week only got paid for 598.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Wouldn't they scream if it was the other way around, them paying 20% more.

9. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Lol you aint lying.

On a side note i did get a good chuckle last week when i ran into another driver who pulled his first O/D load. Someone told him that if he noted on the trip sheet at the end of the week the permitted miles that he would get paid for those instead of shortest route miles.

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    One of our regular loads pays 1780 miles... The fastest route (that I know) is 1808 miles... So a little more than 1 percent lost potential pay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.