ADHERENCE TO CSA 2010 CAUSES DRIVERS TO BE PRESSURED BY CARRIERS TO VOLUNTARY QUIT JOBS OR BE FIRED

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by STEPCHILD1, Feb 20, 2017.

1. STEPCHILD1

STEPCHILD1 Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2007
    GEORGIA
    I've been driving tractor trailers in the industry since 1990.

Used to, all a truck driver had to worry about is keeping their logbook straight and not speeding, having an collision or becoming not medically fit.

If there was something wrong with the unit like lights, annual inspection, tires, registration etc. being not in order, the Motor Carriers had the greatest penalty and weight to correct these item.

Used to, if I found myself working for a Carrier where I was being forced to drive a vehicle with violations, that the Carrier would not correct timely after I had repeatedly wrote up said vehicle. Then I could stop at the D.O.T. Scales and have truck enforcement, force the Carrier to comply with no negative action taken towards me by D.O.T. to resolve the issue.

Now since CSA 2010 has come in effect, I have to refused to drive the commercial vehicle until the Carrier correct violations I write up.

Now if I take faulty vehicle to D.O.T. Scales and have truck enforcement, force the Carrier to comply, negative action is still taken towards me too, resulting in points on my record thereby jeopardizing my livelihood.

I have to attempt to protect my livelihood by not get points on my record or causing a fatality on the roadways.

But now after governing myself this way, I'm finding that once I keep refusing to drive a faulty vehicle and adhere to D.O.T. highway safety regulations, I am constantly talk down to Cust at and my miles, hrs or home time, are being cut as retaliation by the Carriers thereby pressuring me to quit my job voluntarily or they are making up something that didn't happen to terminate me from my job.

When I complaint to the Department of Labor or FMCSA nothing happens favorable for me.

Is there any other drivers out there having these problems are may have serious suggestions for me?

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    And this is how they create a driver shortage so they can justify importing foreign drivers.

x1Heavy, JC1971, Bean Jr. and 3 others Thank this.
  4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    The only non painful way is find a gig that keeps their gear up to snuff

larry2903 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ...so you're complaining that if you choose to drive an unsafe vehicle, it will be held against you? Why do you feel it should be OK for you to drive who knows how far to the nearest DOT scale to have the truck put OOS? An unsafe truck isn't any less unsafe on its way to see the DOT...so what happens if you should get into a wreck along the way? Should you still get a free pass because you claim you were heading to the scale to be shut down?

If a vehicle is unsafe, it should not be driven on public roads.

6. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    So find a company That will FIX a DOT problem Right away. Stop driving for cheap ### people

Bean Jr., Balakov100, MrEd and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    If what you say is true, call a lawyer who specializes in labor law. He will listen to your details and either agree to take the case on contingency(no charge to you) or he won't, because you don't have a case.

8. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    the flip side to this,and more common side is that with the old system,guys that refuse to do even a simple walk around cuz they're too lazy,destroy the rating of the companys that do keep they're stuff in good shape.

i know this first hand. we had a guy grab a trailer off the line that had a tire missing,had a bare rim on the inside,he went to get a load, drove from wisconsin to NY state before we got a call from him saying he was missing a tire. it was the inside wheel so he couldn't act like it was there when he left. clearly he was a real stickler on the walk arounds.....

as far as driving an unsafe truck to a scale,if it has to come to that why would you even work there?

larry2903 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    The Surface Transportation Assistance Act protects drivers from retaliation for refusing to operate a commercial vehicle in violation of FMCSRs. A driver's quit because the only reason he can work for the carrier is by violating the law is what is known as a "constructive discharge." If one is retaliated against the STAA provides remedies including back pay and other compensatory damages.

Paul Taylor
    www.truckersjusticecenter.com

10. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Houston, Tx.
    Here you go;

[​IMG]United States Department of Transportation
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    United States
    Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Search form
    GO
    toggle main menu
    Main menu
    HomeSafety

Coercion
    Coercion occurs when a motor carrier, shipper, receiver, or transportation intermediary threatens to withhold work from, take employment action against, or punish a driver for refusing to operate in violation of certain provisions of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs), Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMRs) and the Federal Motor Carrier Commercial Regulations (FMCCRs). Coercion may be found to have taken place even if a violation has not occurred. An example of coercion is when a motor carrier terminates a driver for refusing to accept a load that would require the driver to violate the hours of service requirements. The following must have occurred in order for coercion to have existed:

• A motor carrier, shipper, receiver, or transportation intermediary request a driver to perform a task that would result in the driver violating certain provisions of the FMCSRs, HMRs, or the FMCCRs;
    • The driver informs the motor carrier, shipper, receiver, or transportation intermediary of the violation that would occur if the task is performed, such as driving over the hours of service limits or creating unsafe driving conditions; and
    • The motor carrier shipper, receiver, or transportation intermediary make a threat or take action against the driver’s employment or work opportunities to get the driver to take the load despite the regulatory violation that would occur.
    To address the problem of coercion, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) adopted the Prohibiting Coercion of Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers (Coercion Rule). The Coercion Rule explicitly prohibits motor carriers, shippers, receivers and transportation intermediaries from coercing drivers to operate in violation of certain FMCSA regulations, including the drivers' hours-of-service limits, the commercial driver's license (CDL) regulations, the associated drug and alcohol testing rules, HMRs, and some of the FMCCRs. The Coercion Rule allows drivers to report incidents of coercion to FMCSA and authorizes FMCSA to issue penalties against motor carriers, shippers, receivers, or transportation intermediaries that have coerced drivers.

Filing a Coercion Complaint with FMCSA
    The Coercion Rule takes effect on January 29, 2016, at that time the FMCSA will start accepting coercion complaints from drivers.

Coercion complaints must be filed within 90 days of the alleged coercion action.

When filing your complaint, please include as much supporting information as you have, such as:

• Text messages or email exchanges between parties showing coercion attempts by a motor carrier, shipper, receiver, or transportation intermediary, as well as your responses; and
    • Names of anyone who may witnessed the coercion attempt.
    All coercion complaints must be in writing and can be mailed to the Division Office located in the state where the complainant is employed or filed with the National Consumer Complaint Database.

File a Whistleblower Complaint with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
    Drivers have the right to question the safety practices of their employer without the risk of losing their job or being subject to retaliation for stating a safety concern. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s whistleblower statutes protect drivers from retaliation. Click here to file a whistleblower complaint with OSHA.

Updated: Friday, February 5, 2016
    Prohibiting Coercion of Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers (Coercion Rule)

11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Another alternative... buy your own and maintain it yourself. Then the issue is resolved.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.