Admiral Merchants, Ace Doran or Bennet

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RERM, Apr 24, 2019.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I'm based out of the Washington, PA terminal. They are great to work with! Plenty of local work if that is what you are looking for, plus I usually get a good rate heading out for my more regional/OTR runs.

The agents are solid, honest, and friendly. But if I were you, I'd still go down and talk to them personally to see if it's a good fit for you. They are just past the truck stop at the Eighty Four/Glyde exit of I-70.

And trust me, I understand wanting to flee from Mawson and Mawson. I spent six absolutely miserable months with them as a company driver a while back. They were still running paper logs (one of the last to switch, I believe) and they ran the dog snot out of me for crap pay. Seriously, it was so bad that going to Roehl as a part time dry van driver was a financial UPGRADE!

Tug Toy, bzinger and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luddybuddy

luddybuddy Light Load Member

May 11, 2010
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Yeah I had talked to Mike back in April or May. but I know where that Pittsburgh / Washington PA terminal is. I'm just not happy with the agent network. Not happy with the money I'm making. Just want to get with a better company with a better agent network. That was it mostly mill freight or do you guys haul out of processors as well. And does Kaplan also offer an early buyout on that lease purchase on the trailer? The only reason I went with Mawson was I was just putting a 1995 t600 on the road and didn't want to have a bunch of money into a trailer lease purchase if some big went down like motor rears tranns.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Agent network seems pretty decent so far. I've only been here a bit over a month, so I've only dealt with a few different offices.

Trailer lease is pretty simple. No downpayment, no credit check, $250/week. Trailer payment is split between $125 to the trailer and $125 towards trailer escrow until the escrow hits $2,000. After that, the whole $250/we goes to the trailer payment. You can buy out after twelve months.

And I get where you are coming from. I was in a similar position. Putting my '13 T680 on the road, REALLY didn't want to add trailer payments until the truck was paid off. But the carrier I had originally planned to sign on with is being destroyed by their evil corporate overlords

And bear in mind too, you and I are coming in during a lousy time of year for steel and flatbed in general. Yeah, we can make some profit. But I'm doing a bit of belt tightening, too. Stacking as much of that extra profit off to the side for just in case.

On a side note, I always had the thought that Mawson and Mawson was....let's say somewhat less than completely truthful about the rates they were getting? I couldn't confirm this, you understand, but I was suspicious.

bzinger and luddybuddy Thank this.
  5. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Well, at least you don't have any more dog snot

brsims Thanks this.
  6. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Kaplan Trucking has its own loadboard?

brsims Thanks this.
  7. luddybuddy

luddybuddy Light Load Member

May 11, 2010
    Pittsburgh Pa
    I don't think so they're driver I think you have to call the agents individually might be wrong. Are you get a good couple agents in the areas you want to run and that's all you need in my book.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    @luddybuddy has it right.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.