Ads on Trailers?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by speedyomega, Jul 11, 2021.

1. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with a year at a time but what happens when you blow an engine and you're down for a couple of months?

That's the beauty of contracts, everything is spelled out (or it should be), no surprises.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyomega

speedyomega Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2021
    Yeah but if you build in an expense of me having to track the trailer, to do contract enforcement on a prepaid year, then it's less worthwhile.

It's kinda funny, in my mind, I figured I'd print a door-width square ad on a magnet, mail it to an O/O, pay $400/month, get a pic maybe once a month from the driver showing the trailer has moved (and just trusting on good-faith it's on there while driving), and that's it. Seemed easy and mutually beneficial in that simplistic way, but maybe I was too naive haha.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback!

4. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    There are companies that do exactly this for cars for people who live in cities. But I've never seen it offered for a semi trailer. I've also emailed some of those companies in the past asking them about doing it for a semi trailer and never got any replies.

Main issue is the travelling. In a city, local businesses can be advertised and people will go to them, it's a good advertising method. Local businesses wouldn't make use of a semi trailer since it can travel all over the country, it would have to be internet based companies. But I'm sure things like Google, other search engines, banner ads, etc provide easier advertising for internet businesses than hoping somebody will read and remember a web address seen on a trailer.

Plus there's liability. If a truck has an accident, a person might try and go after the company advertising on the trailer. Think the companies that pay people to advertise on cars have pretty strict requirements regarding driving record for this reason.

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Not trying to beat a dead horse but magnets won’t stick. I can appreciate your outside the box thinking though.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  6. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Find a local small fleet they would be as interested as anyone. I doubt many owner operators would do it, but most fleets don’t care a hoot about looks it’s all about money.

7. SniperIdeas

SniperIdeas Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Hi - did you ever look into this any further? I'm curious on how an experiment would go with a structured contract of cost and liabilities. There are all sizes of trucks, routes and owner operators, so there are trucks that would be a great fit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.