Advantages and Disadvantages of mechanical vs hydraulic neck on RGN

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Otr Traveler, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Otr Traveler

Otr Traveler Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2020
    I've heard that there are advantages and disadvantages to having a mechanical neck RGN and a hydraulic neck RGN. To me,it seems like having the ability to raise the deck behind the tractor is a great option if you're having ground clearance issues with a heavy load. What say you?

Deere hunter Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Mechanical Neck is on average 1500lbs lighter including the ramps on the tractor
    It is possible to shim the neck on a mechanical neck to gain 2 or 3 inches of ground clearance
    Hydraulic is normally less physical effort for the driver.
    Hydraulic normally has more range of clearance available.
    On extra heavy loads it is possible to end up with not enough lift capacity if improperly loaded although most operators now how to work around that. Most manufacturers engineers plan a 50% safety factor as well as a 25% WWL.

4. 01HFT

01HFT Light Load Member

May 20, 2021
    Sycamore, IL
    I went with a mechanical detach on my trailer because I only detach a handful of times each yr. If I was detaching everyday, multiple times each day, I'd have hydraulic's. You do have to watch ground clearance with the mechanicals. I've drug in a few spots when I get 55k + lbs on my trailer(5 axles-total weight around 90k). Most of what I haul with a lowboy is loaded by crane or forklift.

cke, Oxbow and Deere hunter Thank this.
  5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Most heavy haul folks have suspension that can be over inflated on the tractor and the RGN to raise it a few inches for extra clearance .

6. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    And of course, a mechanical be can be a little harder on your drivetrain, depending on angle of ramps and such things. The 40 ton trailer I pull almost every day is a hydraulic. I have a 60 ton flat floor that is mechanical on the jeep. Just gotta make sure that fifth wheel is lubed up really good so everything comes apart nice. Also have a 50 ton beam that replaces that flat floor with a hydraulic neck on the same jeep. it works quite a bit better with heavy loads.

cke, Oxbow, Landincoldfire and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.