Advantages of staying under 26000 lbs? Disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by bobobrazil, Feb 3, 2014.

1. mrcars

mrcars Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I found out one of the big advantages is that your insurance company does not know how many miles you do in each state. With IRP they can ask to see your mileage in each state and charge you higher premiums if they see you driving more in states that have higher rates of accidents.

Not having to limit yourself to just the states you are apportioned in, not having to get permits for states you are not apportioned in.

Being able to buy fuel in smaller stations that don't show gallons on reciept at cheaper prices

You can buy all of your fuel in low tax states even if you drive in high tax states and not have to make up the difference.

ohiobred Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Planblimo

Planblimo Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Do you know best place online to find load for truck under 26000.
    Moito Obrigado

4. Planblimo

Planblimo Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Is it hard to find load for truck under 26000?

5. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Wait a minute I am confused (no surprise there). When I spoke to the DOT and the IRP office in my state (NC) I was told that because I am under 26,000 total combined GVWR that I don't need a CDL IFTA and IRP cards regardless of what state I go into because I am running For-Hire plates not Apportioned. I do know NY state requires a HUT permit to run through there regardless of weight but I have traveled up and down the east cost and to TN KY AL stopped in every one of them and never told I need an IRP card. My truck GVWR is 10 K my trailer is 14 K so why would I need an IRP card ?

ohiobred Thanks this.
  6. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I always understood any combination vehicle with a GCVW of 10,001 or more that was crossing state lines had to be apportioned, but maybe not. Everywhere else you're fine.

7. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Just to be safe I called the IRP office again to confirm my question and they said since i'm under 26 but over 10,001 I don't need an IRP but have to have For Hire and MC number to cross state lines. I just got approved and paid for my NY HUT decals and road tax because according to NY State anything over a GVWR of 18,000 requires a HUT registration so now I can operate in that state. The only other state as far as I know that requires additional road tax registration is KY but that's if your GVWR is over 59,999. Man I wish the FMCSA would just lay off the regulations make it simple and stop overthinking all these rules

RStewart Thanks this.
  8. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Unless it's changed, it use to be if the surrounding states that you were crossing into had what's called reciprocity you didn't need apportioned plates. I remember seeing small businesses Tv repair, plumbing companies, construction companies, etc that had to buy plates on their vehicles for both states if they were based on a state line and crossed back and forth to do business.

Approx 33 years ago I hauled some aluminum extrusions from California to Arizona. Less than 2,000 lbs. I was in a 1/2 Chevy pickup hooked to a 16' bumper pull trailer. When I crossed into AZ they made me be buy a permit. They said my California plates wasn't enough. And approx 20 years ago I owned a towing business. Left California to pick up a vehicle in AZ, I wasn't even pulling anything going in and they made me buy another permit.

Let's say your state has reciprocity with your surrounding states but you cross more state lines, get a little further out. If the other states that don't connect with your home state doesn't have a reciprocity agreement with your home state, what happens then? You may need to buy a permit. And I don't care if everyone else is doing it and getting away with it. If you run across a savvy DOT Officer you may find yourself in a jam.

It's hard to keep up with all the changes. Best thing a guy can do if he's gonna run under 26,001 lbs is call ahead and confirm everything before heading out.

RStewart and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  9. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    As far as I know since I run mainly the east coast they are all in sync with one another. I have been stopped in NC,SC TN,GA,FL,KY,VA,WV,NJ,PA,CT and while only a few were Level 1 all they have asked for is my Med Card and Reg. I contacted my Process Agent and asked him as well and as far as he knows the only state that requires additional permits is NY State Also a friend of mine on here told me about it and yes when I completed the application and submitted the info on my truck and trailer they said yep you need a HUT permit. I for one have no issue spending money on whatever it takes for me to be compliant. I have worked to hard and invested way to much time and money into my business to lose it because I want to try and beat the system. Ignorance is no excuse for the law, so if I have to I will do what needs to be done. Agree?

Ruthless, flatbedcarrier and RStewart Thank this.
  10. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Glad you called & got it all figured out. I've never ran under 26k but my cousin did years ago & that's what I was trying to remember is how he was set up. Stay safe & compliant.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.