Advice 1986 W900 with (white) 3406b

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Roanokemassey, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Roanokemassey

Roanokemassey Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2022
    I found a 1986 W900 flattop sleeper with a 3406b cat (painted white).
    1 owner truck with 450k miles.
    I learned to drive truck in a 1985 W900 that looked like this one.
    I am thinking of a complete resto on it with updates like hub pilot, abs, paint, all new lines and harnesses, ........
    The advice I want has to do with the engine.

Would I be committing an unforgivibleble sin, if I took out the cat and put in a 14L Detroit?
    I want it to be my daily driver.
    Or should I restore it and just use it for lowboy work where 4.0 to 4.5 mpg is ok pulling heavy wide loads?

The truck is a diamond in rough condition. Or a money pit. Same thing!

I just don't want to completely devalue a truck. I am not sure how many white painted cats are out there. I have been told they are getting rare.

Don't be mean, but give me you thoughts on which direction and why. I am guessing I will have 75k in it, doing a lot of the work myself.
    Thanks

Vampire and W923 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's an old 1986 truck that come from a fence row. Not really worth more than scrap to most people. Build whatever you want and be happy with it.

Bean Jr., Vampire and Last Call Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    White CATs were a Paccar thing IIRC. Just something they did back then. Its not like it really adds any value to a truck.

Vampire and Last Call Thank this.
  5. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Was at an Army Depot around Desert Storm time loading rubber water tanks.
    The building next door was wall to wall with white CAT motors In the thousands.

Vampire Thanks this.
  6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Don’t ask me to logically give you proof because I can not But I’am a firm believer that a genuine white Cat is a better motor There’s a old saying the difference between a white Cat and a yellow cat is you can make a white cat run .That said I have seen a lot of yellow cats painted white at some point So a guy needs to do his research before he brags about owning a white cat

Vampire and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I haven't heard that before. My 1980 has one and the previous owner from about 30 years ago said it pulled really good back when he owned it. I ran the engine S/N in SIS and its likely the original block in that truck. It was shipped to the KW plant in Burnaby, BC in the late 70s.

Vampire and Last Call Thank this.
  8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    When I started going on the truck in 83 Used to hear the debates about yellow or white Cats then by 86 use to hear the good wrenchs that seemed to know their stuff would say you could make a white cat run I have own both and I would have to agree the white cats would perform better JMO I have a 7fb sitting in the shop that is originally a white cat that someone painted yellow it’s pretty strong

Vampire and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    I say put the pre egr 14L series 60 Detroit in it if that’s what your gut is telling you. If you’re going to work it and also have it as a daily driver, you could also consider a hopped up 12.7 series 60.

Other mods, if you’re tall, put in the big hole sleeper. So much more leg room.

Keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck to you.

Bean Jr. and Last Call Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.