Advice? Employer trying to take all my pay!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ma908, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ma908

ma908 Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I made the mistake of working for an owner operator that was extremely shady. He told me he would teach me everything about flat beds. He taught me nothing and just threw me right in. He told me to run illegally and use PC time to go from one load to another, then to come home. I was a contractor but he tried to treat me like an employee. He had me working 14 hour days. One night I got off at 6 pm and he wanted me to be back to take a load at midnight. Before I quit, I accidentally cracked the fog light on the bumper, other side was already broken before I had the truck. I called the owner to tell him what happened with the light, he asked how it happened then told me I would have to pay for a new bumper. Then he said he would take it out of my check in installments. The truck wasn’t in good shape and didn’t pass inspection. He told me to not get it fixed, just drive it back. Pretty sure he didn’t get anything done after I brought it back. Obviously I decided I didn’t feel comfortable working for him and quit after getting home. I told him I left the truck and everything else in the yard and I thanked him for the opportunity. I got paid for the week prior and he did a reversal and took the money back. My questions are, why can’t he use insurance for the fog light? He told me he took my check for the week before for an load abandonment fee for the load I was supposed to do the next day. And for the bumper. I also didn’t get paid for the work the week that I quit. This guy doesn’t seem to have much experience in general, only been driving for 3 years and that’s how long he’s supposedly been in business too. Would it be worth it to sue him?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    He could use the insurance for the fog light but the deductible would be high like probably $1000. Your situation is just all around messed up.. Only thing that might get you is where you were a contractor... Did you sign any kind of agreement that said you were a contractor 1099?

Lepton1 and jamespmack Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Look at it as a lesson learned the hard way. Now, go find a reputable company to work for and stay away from those rag-tag outfits.

5. ma908

ma908 Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Yes I signed a contract. He took $1800, and still owes me for the last week of work too. He said it would be extremely expensive to fix the light. Is that the case?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    uhhh no dude you got scammed bad... I just put a whole light assembly on the back of my truck for $200 and I paid someone $100 to wire everything in... so no its not expensive for lights..[​IMG]

Lepton1, baha and jamespmack Thank this.
  7. ma908

ma908 Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    So worth suing him in small claims court or contacting a lawyer? He claimed it would expensive because he would need to replace the whole bumper. He texted me and said I would still owe him for the light after taking the $1800 and my last check. Over $2000. I talked to a lawyer that I know and he said I should sue him before he sues me.

jamespmack and stayinback Thank this.
  8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Man,I hate when I hear this- Shady Pricks everywhere-
    Scumbags can't even pay these poor guys what's due.

Cr@pp like this was going on in the 80's and 90's...Apparently,Still going on.

No Offense to you farm guys or owners that hire guys that live in the sticks.....But Ive seen countless times where these guys "keep" money due to people that worked for it- And it usually happens in an area that's harder to recover your money-as opposed to city like politics and laws to conform to.

Kinda like a ...Good ole' boy reprimanding a child that was misbehaving.........."Park that truck in the drive,and get outta here, And you ain't gettin' paid either"

Badmon, CruzControhl and bzinger Thank this.
  9. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Yea I would sue him definitely... I can get a Chrome bumper at Raney's for $585 that fits my truck... and you do not need to replace the whole bumper just to fix a fog light... Dude is seriously trippin...

Tb0n3, Dark_Majesty_06 and jamespmack Thank this.
  10. Spyro2112

Spyro2112 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2018
    It takes a federal judge to garnish your paycheck, his is not allowed to take money out of your check, in a year u should own that trucking company

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Small claims court get your facts and dates straight. If you win he will have to pay filing cost. Lose and your out a little more money. Good Luck

deathB4decaf, Tb0n3 and jamespmack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.