Advice? Employer trying to take all my pay!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ma908, Dec 17, 2018.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I know you would like to think that is the case, given the various laws and rules against such actions. However, having spent a considerable time in retail financial services (not at a bank), I can assure you that, based on specific instances where I have been involved and/or have direct knowledge, it has happened innumerable times. A universal truth is that a lot (a majority, IMHO) of front-line employees at banks are incompetent. I have seen some amazing things done by bank employees, even branch managers, on the basis of a phone call. No proof. No verification. Just the word of some unknown entity on the other end of the line. Or, sometimes, a personal relationship exists and the bank employee just does what their acquaintance asks.

YMMV.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Well......lol I guess there’s no accounting for employee error. In that case, I would expect the bank to fix their mistake

4. ma908

ma908 Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Just wanted to provide an update as I didn’t see some of these replies. It’s very possible for a company to reverse a direct deposit payment if they lie and say it was an error. This has happened many times with big companies who have errors and pay twice or something along those lines. When you sign a direct deposit form you agree that they may also do a reversal. Please do your research.

Back to the update...my wife advised me to call the bank back and dispute the reversal. You can dispute just about any type of transaction. Took two business days and I had my money back. Surprisingly, that same day he also decided to pay me for the work that I did for the next week and I’m assuming he felt guilty because the amount didn’t add up. After receiving the money back I had everything changed so he couldn’t go back and take my money again.

After realizing what happened he sent me a text threatening to file a police report against me and contact his attorney. I didn’t respond to that message. I’ve done nothing illegal so I can’t imagine what he’s trying to do. Then he sends another message threatening to put that I had an accident on my DAC Report and also that I abandoned the load and for theft. This just sounds so bizarre to me, how can he put theft if I didn’t take anything? Crazy. I spoke with a lawyer and she advised me to file a claim with the dept of labor. Currently considering all my options before proceeding. The most ridiculous part is I’m willing to pay for the fog light but he won’t provide a bill and wants me to also pay an abandonment fee. A lot of hassle for a small amount of money.

5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Are they paying bounties for major DOT violators? They should.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Boys and girls, this how you quit a company.....always do it right after pay day.

Badmon and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Do what your lawyer advised.
    Good to hear you got your money.

ma908, Badmon and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  8. ma908

ma908 Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    The only thing I’m concerned about is him messing up my DAC Report and preventing me from getting future jobs. I’ve already started a new job of course but just thinking ahead. The abandonment and theft is ridiculous. I know at this point he’s trying to scare me into giving the money back with whatever he can think of so idk.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Dac costs momey for him to be a part of. He won't do it.

In the case he is being vindictive and does, you can contest it. He he has no proof, and you have the text threatening. It will be removed.
    Also, go work for a company that does not use dac. Likely will be a better job anyway.

ma908, Badmon and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  10. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    IDK about you guys, but I am quite unconcerned with a DAC report because when I talk to potential employers (9.5 times out of 10 it won't be a mega), I am confident enough in myself and my skill set to go and speak with someone directly and sell myself. Hasn't failed me yet. I must say that I have not been reported to DAC ever, probably because I've managed to avoid working for any company that uses it :dontknow:

Long FLD and ma908 Thank this.
  11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I always redact the parts of the direct deposit agreement that authorizes people to take money from my account.

It’s telling that the bank reversed it

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    not4hire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.