Advice for a Yard Switcher Considering a CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Yard Jockey, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Yard Jockey

Yard Jockey Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Northern New England
    My job for about a year has included working as the yard jockey/switcher driver moving trailers for a package transportation and delivery company. I move 15-20 trailers daily; mostly twenty-eight footers but also some fifty-three foot dry vans. I like the driving/switching portion of my job, enjoy most of my co-workers, and my supervisors. I am seriously considering getting my CDL based on my work experience. However, I have a few concerns and hope some here can help:
    1) I am concerned about the future of trucking jobs going forward. Will this industry be laying off large numbers of drivers when the economy crashes, in the same way that new Real Estate Agents flooded the property sales industry in 2005-2007 during the real estate bubble only to be out of work after 2008. The fact is, this economic boom has been going 10 years without a let up and the heavily reported demand for drivers in late 2017, early 2018 seems to have gone quiet.

2) Does driving a switcher as a yard jockey give me valuable experience I can use on the road or am I misleading myself? My yard tractor has an automatic transmission which is a drawback.

3) Is there a way to get my CDL on my own? I am taking the advice of many on this site by not committing myself to serve with one company in exchange for a paid CDL school and I don't want to burn $5,000 and more for the schools in my area. Mostly, I'm concerned about the road time and not the written test. Any thoughts on how I could get driving time without having friends or family with a truck?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Thouren Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yard jockeying is no OTR experience. Nothing there that can be counted.

I remember when cars sold at 15% interest and houses at 19% back in the 70's The economy comes and goes with several permanent changes now and then. Back in those days the USA was taken off the Gold Standard. Meaning Congress can now borrow against a future on paper or imaginary money supply which is unlimited.

Inflation took care of the last 40 years or so. Where we will be in the next 40? I consider Robots being given citizenship so they can pay taxes based on hours worked or productivity. It's pretty far fetched right now. But that time is coming.

I am assuming you stay on private property so it's not necessary to have a CDL with that work as a jockey.

Texas_hwy_287 and Yard Jockey Thank this.
  4. Yard Jockey

Mar 22, 2019
    Northern New England
    Because I have been doing the switching for a year, I understand that I don't need a CDL on private property. Appreciate the overview on macro economics and your personal views on interest rates and robots, but I could also use info regarding trucking jobs during economic downturns.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    homeskillet and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There will always need truckers. 50 show in orientation, and the company picks and chooses the best of the litter. The rest get told bye. I don't see anything that will change the situation other than the ever increasing regulating of the CDL process, so called security since 9-11 to get it. A few years ago you could get a CDL and endorsements with little more than a fee and a few tests that are revelant. (And a road trip test for those not already in possession of one) Today you need documentation, actual address of residence and so on. It's not too much of a leap of imagine to get to using Biometric DNA to add to the requirements someday.

Chinatown is the one who knows about employers here. The rest of it from my view is that someone will always need a driver. The problem is they will try to pay you .34 a mile because you might not know that's what they paid top hands 25 years ago. IF they can get away with paying .34 they are going to do it. And from what i can see, they are getting away with it.

Trucking is one of the last jobs you can get off the street without a college educating and all sorts of BS certifications and so on.That too is slowly being legislated to the point that even fewer people will be able to possess a CDL in the future. (OR want to)

But bottom line, as long we are one Nation in the USA, we will always need truckers. Getting good ones? Now that is the trick because we lose so many within 90 days 6 months or a year to a variety of really small stuff. Cut a tire on a hydrant? Preventable. Do it again and boom you don't have a job anymore. As long there are 50 in that orientation next week this situation will continue in this industry.

Yard Jockey Thanks this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Jockeying won't count as experience... especially since you don't have a CDL. BUT...you'll have a BIG advantage over most new drivers because you have the hardest part of trucking already down...which is backing. I'm assuming your employer trained you to become a yard jockey...and if they did, they may train you to get your CDL too. I would ask to see if they offer anything like this.

As far as trucking in the future...nobody can predict what's gonna happen. They can make assumptions...as far as driverless vehicles and shortage...but as long as you have a CDL...there will always be some sort of trucking job available.

And as far as getting your CDL...it all depends on what you want to do. Plenty of OTR and local jobs that'll train you to get your CDL...but most, if not all...will want at least a year of service before you can move on. But I would personally recommend going to an LTL company and apply for the dock to driver or apprenticeship program. Practically all the LTL's have this...YRC, Estes, ODFL, Pitt Ohio, ABF, etc., etc., etc.

Good luck.

Yard Jockey Thanks this.
  7. Ironwindow

Ironwindow Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    Know a guy who jockeyed for Penske for a long time. Since he never left the lot CDL was not required, state man can't get you behind the fence.

He told his supervisor he wanted to get his Cdl's so they arranged for him to use a truck and trailer to get them.

He still works for penske but now he's able to move trucks and trailers anywhere and not just on the lot.

Yard Jockey Thanks this.
  8. Yard Jockey

Mar 22, 2019
    Northern New England
    Appreciate the helpful tips.

9. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Trucking jobs in an economic downturn.

2008-2009 the were pictures being posted of drivers with mail boxes mounted on their trucks. ;)

Companies don’t lay off drivers. They simply cut their miles, and/or pay. You’ll always have a job. Might not make ####, but you’ll have a job.

The real question you should ask yourself. Are you prepared to weather the storm if/when it comes?

I will point out a single story from the last downturn that has stuck with me. A female driver (single), making good money, bought a new 3000 sq ft home. And then proceeded to cry on national TV because she couldn’t make the payments when everything went to hell.

Don’t be that person.

The economy does what it does. The only thing that matters is, are you prepared. Low debt and frugal spending habits are what matter. Regardless of what the economy does.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I pulled reefers for most of my career and never had to worry about being laid off or an economic downturn. Even during an economic crash, people still need food and people still buy extra food for the holidays, such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year celebration.
    Exactly, where are you in New England? By that, I mean which city or town is near you?

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's some good advice. This statement is also good advice, especially if you don't want to venture too far from home and still make a great paycheck > "Practically all the LTL's have this...YRC, Estes, ODFL, Pitt Ohio, ABF, etc., etc., etc."
    So tell us approximately where your located and if you want local/regional/OTR and we'll help you get started.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.