Advice for Choosing Second Trucking Company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wwest, Jan 26, 2014.

1. wwest

wwest Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Harrison, AR
    What They Didn't Teach Me at Roadmaster :Monkey wrench:

I chose Roadmaster and paid their high rate because so long as you're willing to work, they will go out of their way to make sure you get your CDL. However, now that I've had some experience, it's obvious that Roadmaster failed to teach me the most important course of all - how to pick your first trucking company.

Having parted from my first company, I suddenly see things on trucking websites that I never saw before. For example: "We don't do forced teaming." If you don't know what forced teaming is (I do now) then you don't actually realize what you're reading. Other students are no help either.

Ok, so now I know ONE of the things I should look out for in the future.

I also know that the per/mile rate is meaningless unless you know the top speed the fleet trucks are governed at. (There's also the question of whether you'll even get any miles but, as you know, that's another matter).

What other common deciding factors would a knowledgeable truck driver take into account when questioning a prospective company?

(As usual, there are other issues, but let's just start with the basics first, please).

THANKS! :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Can they get you home.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Okay, besides hold a steeringwheel, what is your long term goal? What wagon do you want to pull? We need you, the OP,the original poster, to be more specific. Do you want to be local? Go sit in the local section. Owner operator? Go sit in the owner OP section. Oil field? Tanker yanker? What?

its like someone comes in here and says, "What do I do?" Well, what do you want to do?

5. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Performance/Fuel bonuses?
    Health Insurance?
    401k/Profit Sharing?
    Primary Lanes?
    Major Regular Customers?
    Live Load vs. Drop & Hook %?
    Age of Equipment?
    Break Down/Layover/Extra Drop pay?

governed speed really isn't an issue as long as its at least 65.

900,000-tons-of-steel Thanks this.
  6. wwest

wwest Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Harrison, AR
    You have a point. I have several issues and was trying to break the whole thing down into the most simplistic parts so that you all wouldn't have to read an entire novel just to offer advice.

Ok, here's more . . .

I just got fired from let's call 'em "Jesus Christ Superstar Trucking." I picked them because I was impressed with their Christian theme. Turns out that as far as the upper management is concerned, Christianity is simply their marketing niche. I butted heads over the Bible with the VP and now I'm fired.

I don't have enough experience to be picky right now. The last company did forced teaming and they promised they would help me get my hazmat but didn't. Being fired was a blessing in disguise because I've just cleared the TSA backgrounder and two days from now I'll be picking up my new license with hazmat and tanker endorsements.

I'm single with no kids, no wife and no girlfriend. Home time is irrelevant in my case because technically, I'm homeless.

I just need to find a company that I can tolerate for a year. So I'm looking to avoid the major stumbling blocks that would prevent me from staying or get me killed in the process.

I've only been driving since July of last year but I've been put through my paces. (I actually think someone in the company was trying to manipulate me into an accident so they could blame me for firing me, but it didn't work. They provided no reason when they fired me.)

I've negotiated rush hour traffic several times in all the major metros. Survived a timed delivery to a Chicago UPS terminal in a blinding snow storm as well as snow storms in Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Denver and Salt Lake City.

I drive super-conservatively, set the cruise control to the speed limit and never go over. I'm driving an 80, 000 pound missile - I don't take chances. I leave that to the super-truckers. I'm a professional and have nothing to prove.

As for venue: I was conned into teaming with an O/O who was a smoker (I'm not). And if she can be successful at it, I'm confident that I can too. So my resume on Career Builder is titled "Team/Solo OTR Driver with O/O potential."

I need to be really careful in choosing this second company so that I can establish myself as a consistent worker. I've ordered a copy of my DAC and sent a notarized letter to the company requesting a Separation Notice.

Now it's time to evaluate which starter company to go with and I need to know the more sophisticated pitfalls that I could avoid if only I knew. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Thanks

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    The schools only goal is to get you a CDL. Don't try to find a job by just submitting applications on-line. By doing this you're letting the company judge you by what's written on a piece of paper. If you were to fill their application out and bring it to them they will form a better idea of you. One lesson you should have learned by now is "Never quit a job until you have the next one to go to". As long as your record is spotless you have a good chance of going where you want to. So pick the company that is going to benefit you the best. Look at all what they have to offer. Start looking far down and find the company that has drivers that retire so you'll be set when it comes. No one can blame you for leaving a job to make a better living.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  8. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    First things first...don't take this wrong ..please...BUT ...You are a rookie...haven't even really scratched the surface of this industry yet. You've made a few on time deliveries , driven in some in-climate weather , haven't had an accident and you've had a bad experience with a co-driver over smoking....wow....Now that I've said that ...I'll say this...take a good long look in the mirror and make the choice...yes I said the CHOICE to be much more flexible , and humble in your dealings with folks...Things can't/won't always fit into your master-plan especially in this business...a "real pro" learns to not only have the patience of "Job" , but you must be able to accept things as they come , learn to deal with them , and move on....don't know you personally , but you seem to have the I me complex pretty bad....find your niche in trucking and you'll be happy...some folks look for years at OTR and find out that Local is where they want to be..some folks love flat-bedding , some love reefer , etc..the choices are many. The lesson that you seem to need to learn is though....is not to always play the "victim" card when things go south.... learn by doing the work (read getting the experience) you will not be alone..we all had to do it.

Wooly Rhino and GasHauler Thank this.
  9. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    How will I be paid? Direct deposit, fuel card, check in the mail?
    How will I be paid-2? CPM, hourly, flat rate, %, if %, then % of what? Line haul, gross, net?
    How much per mile/hour/load/%?
    How often will I be paid? weekly, bi-weekly, bi-monthly, monthly?
    Am I compensated when your truck breaks down? And how much?
    Am I compensated for waiting to get your truck loaded/unloaded? And how much?
    Do you expect me to load/unload your truck? If so, am I going to be compensated for it? If so, how much?
    Do you pay for lumpers? If so, do you pay up front? Or do I have to loan you the money? If so, how long do I have to wait/argue to get my money back?
    Am I fined for late deliveries?
    Any medical benefits?
    How much do the medical benefits cost?
    How long until I'm eligible for medical benefits?
    You do understand that I am a rookie, and I WILL make mistakes? When that does happen, how can I expect to be treated?
    Does your truck have an APU? If not am I allowed to idle your truck enough to keep me comfortable? (MY idea of comfortable not yours)
    Will you get me home often enough to suit me?( That's kind of a tricky question because I know what I want, and I know what I will settle for, so that answer will have to fall in between those two limits.)
    When I am home, where do you expect me to park your truck?
    If something happens to your truck while I'm home, and have your truck parked where you told me to,(vandalism, hit and run, ect.) am I going to be financially responsible? Fired?
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure everyone will have there own list. You need to decide what your wants/needs/expectations are, and what you are willing to settle for, you will not get exactly what you want but you should be able to get close. Just remember this is a JOB we are talking about here, not a vacation, try to keep your expectations realistic.

justa_driver, wwest and Wooly Rhino Thank this.
  10. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Make sure they pay the same Loaded AND Empty. :yes2557:

justa_driver and wwest Thank this.
  11. wwest

wwest Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Harrison, AR
    Thanks, this is good stuff . . .

Can you really collect on these? I know companies love to promise you things. Do the majors actually deliver?

Do you like yours? The last company's insurance was so meager, you were really paying them.

Thanks for this. Profit sharing is hard for them to rip you off on. Either they do it or they don't.

All good points, thanks again

They pretty much fake you out on this one, don't they? I mean, if you don't get this one in writing, they can claim that you're simply an exception to the rule, right?

NOW HERE'S WHERE THE RUBBER MEETS THE ROAD - Can anyone teach me how to become an expert in this? I met a driver in the fleet that was making nearly double what I was making and this was how he was doing it. Please, someone hit me over the head with a baseball bat because I REALLY need to know how you guys have made this work - up front before I sign on the dotted line.

The last company was 65. But I passed people, (PRIME, for example). Amazingly, there are trucks set in the high 50s and low 60s. (Which is what attracts me to O/O. It's handy to have that extra power when necessary).

Thanks for your help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.