Advice for Hauling Steel Coil

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by jldilley, Jan 29, 2014.

1. jldilley

jldilley Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    I've found steady freight hauling steel coil close to my home, but have never hauled coils or even flat-bedded for that matter. I have a two day class I'll be taking covering flat-bedding and load securement, but all the research I've done so far points to coil hauling as being a special niche all in itself. I'd love to get input on what it takes to haul coils safely. Any advice on equipment, securement, and tarping would be great would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    What kind of coils? Eye in the sky? Shot gun style? Suicide? Several smaller coils? One big 50k lb coil? Need more info man, but one thing that applies to them all, use more chains than required, do not ever put yourself in a position where you have to brake hard. Take your turns easy, a big coil dramatically raises your center of gravity. Also, if pulling one or two coils, might want to invest in coil bags. Makes tarping a breeze.

Blue jeans, Iron-Man, 281ric and 2 others Thank this.
  4. bowtieboy77

bowtieboy77 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    I agree with spyder7723. The only thing to ad is you will also need some hardwood 4x4 with one corner shaved off. The 4x4 sit in your coil bunks then the coil will sit on the 4x4 keeping it from touching the trailer. I used to haul flatbed for tcs out of Woodstock, Ont. No one really liked hauling them as they are alittle harder on equip and did'nt pay as much as other loads but it got us home with a load. I always loaded suicide (hole across trailer) I did it this way as I found easier to chain, less chain length needed, and if it broke loose it would kill me so it forces you to overchain to ensure it won't move. I see your in indiana so you will be working out of southbend and gary in. Southbend is a fairly smooth running outfit wait times are minimal and the people are friendly. U.S steel in indiana is a #### circuis its first come first serve so people are trying to cut infront of you the employees are not really that nice. Myself I loved flatbed but I would'nt limit yourself to just coils theres more money to be made with other loads you can put on the deck.

mje and jldilley Thank this.
  5. jldilley

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    I'll be hauling single coils weighing in at close to 45,000lbs. I'm not sure how they will be loaded. If I have a choice, would you recommend suicide or shotgun? I'll actually be loading out of Crawfordsville going to Chicago. I believe the name of the company is Nucor. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks for all the great info so far. And I will definitely look into coil bags.

mje Thanks this.
  6. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    Shotgun is always better i.m.o. if you have a choice. if you have to brake hard a shotgun coil will not roll over you & crush you. also a shot gun coil you have more leeway, a few inches forward or back makes no difference, but a coil eye to the side that is a few inches too far one way or another will have your trailer leaning bad to one side.

jldilley Thanks this.
  7. jldilley

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    How often do steel coil accidents occur? I can't seem to recall hearing of any since I started trucking.

8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    1/2 inch grade 8 chain, ratchet binders staggered at least for double rating, when in doubt add another chain. its a load you do not want to be wrong on.

jldilley and 281ric Thank this.
  9. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    I've been hauling coils since I started driving. The key is to take your time driving and securing. I have only hauled them suicide and that is the way to go. Always put an extra chain or two in case one snaps and have a proper trailer with the coil package. I have seen many trailers bottom out due to improper coil loading. Always set the blocks in front of the coil. When driving, take your time and don't act like you know it all. Another thing is always check to see if the coils shifted (especially in suicide). Trailers that have the wooden removable sides are good for coils but don't help in securing them or accidents. Coil related accidents are not very common around where I am. Since its one 45000 pound coil, try to position it in the center and use heavy duty chains (for the feeling of safety.) Tarping them isn't difficult just a pain and I rarely due it anymore. Also as mentioned above take your time driving and going around corners until you get adjusted. Make sure the trailer has a coil package, if it doesn't then that won't end well. And again proper loading is important, an improperly loaded coil is not good. It can break the trailer and possibly cause a wreck. Any more questions just ask. the last thing, will you be pulling for the steel mill/factory or a company?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    MichianaFlat and jldilley Thank this.
  10. jldilley

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    I'll be pulling for a Landstar agent who has an account in Crawfordsville. They move a ridiculous amount of steel.:biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.