Advice for leaving / quitting

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    If you’re worried the company might screw you and leave you on the other side of the country. Apply for vacation time, long enough that the company will require for you to drop the truck at the yard. Use all the vacation you have left and the last day of vacation tell them a private family incident has occurred and you may not be able to drive for sometime so you’re going to resign.

mwhjr1988 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Sometimes it’s because you got a better offer elsewhere but you don’t want to burn bridges Incase the grass wasn’t actually greener.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I think you’re doing the right thing by the two week notice. Just like the above post says the grass isn’t always greener. I came back to a job recently and was very thankful to get hired back on with no problems at all. Made me realize I had it better than I realized. Try to keep them happy much as you can. You may need their help again.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Make sure you get your last paycheck BEFORE you bounce. Learned that one the hardest way

6. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Hey Lenny, you have worked an incredible amount of hours/day over the past 3 years! Wow! I hope you have at least been able to save up some money or pay off some debt? I think any company would be glad to have someone with your work ethic come work for them. I only have a little less than two years experience, but I've been told if you get your first two years in for trucking that a lot of doors really open up for you. And you have 3 years, all with the same company!

Did you have an end goal with working so much over the past 3 years? Like, save X amount of money in the bank or pay off X amount of debt?

If you continue to work so many days, will you have an end goal moving forward where hopefully one day you don't have to work so much if you don't want to?

Any idea of what you want to do next, you're currently doing reefer OTR right?

Well, I really hope it works out good for you, good luck!

7. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    I usually give a two day notice. ,I quit today as in now,

8. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    In my Opinion, thats not a good way to go. Face to face is best.
    Get your truck inspected and a receipt. Just saying.

9. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Op
    Think, Johnny Paycheck.......

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    all you need to do is 1 and 2...as for #3..??

take pie for the ride home.

i never, ever worried about burning bridges...i never went back to a former employer.

11. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I've gone back to two trucking jobs. One was as a local driver, formerly OTR. They claimed I could run as close to 70 hours a week as I wanted, I was lucky to get 40. Can't do that. Went to another job that promised local, then switched me to a dedicated run that had me gone three nights a week. Then when they told me I could only go home two nights a week, I told them where they can shove their truck. (As well as multiple other issues)
    The company I went back to was the one I left TO do local work. Realized my stress levels had never been as low as at that job. Pay is lower, but I can pick my own loads from what they've got, hometime is anytime I want it, and for as long as I want it. Very very few questions asked, and they let me run without micromanaging me. Truck needs ANYTHING, it's fixed as soon as they possibly can. Mattress upgrades, EPU batteries, interior lights, all done with no question.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.