Advice for woman looking to oil field tanker yank

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Cowboygirl45, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Cowboygirl45

Cowboygirl45 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Just curious what the consensus would be if I want to break into the field of o.f. trucking? I have silage bed, end dump, side dump, belly dump, step deck/flat bed and 8,000 gal smooth bore tanker experience. I'm 35, 5'2", 110 lbs and have a hard time being taken seriously (sad but true, but understandable too). Any advice, input, recommendations and thoughts would be appreciated!

snowman1980, jamespmack and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    subscribed for the fun

4. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    @NightWind I thought you might want to meet each other. @Cowboygirl45 you both have some of the same challenges being in a field usually associated with guy's. She is not here often but when she does show up that " tag" @ will guide her over here. I spent some time in the patch and I met a few women in the patch and I didn't see them get picked on in my limited time around them. Out there if you can do the job, folks tend to leave you alone and let you work. At least in my experience. That was in South Texas for what it's worth. Good luck and welcome to the site. @Rockdoctor ? Isn't your wife in the patch with you ?

Cowboygirl45 Thanks this.
  5. arrogant steve

arrogant steve Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    Basically brand new drivers are getting into the oil field side of trucking, for good reason, money!
    I will caution you though as it can be dangerous. I'm talking about the basic act of operating your truck and trailer in the areas of oil production. I drive through the Permian Basin more than I care to! That section of I 20 is just flat out dangerous! Lots of tired drivers and sometimes their equipment isn't safe due to harsh use or wasn't that good before it even got there.
    Txdot has deemed a local U.S. highway as the most dangerous one in the state, citing oilfield drivers killing themselves in accidents blamed on equipment and overworked drivers. U.S. 385 or something like that.
    I can't speak of what's going on in N.D. or other places as I don't drive there.
    I will say that particular segment of trucking is maybe a bit testosterone fueled. I'm presuming you are female by the pic in your profile, and am definitely not saying you can't do it simply because of that. But, because of that, you might have to fight the "good ole boy" network. I'm male and a native Texan, but have seen a bias to those not having protruding genitals in what is generally considered a man's profession.
    With all that said, good luck to you and God speed.

NightWind and Cowboygirl45 Thank this.
  6. Patrick Star

Patrick Star Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2018
    So I drive in North Dakota in the Watford City area. Been doing it for just about better part of almost 2 years now I've only seen a couple ladies every now and then not too often. But just about every time I do see one everybody's usually willing to help them if they need it but most of the time they're pretty hard-working to begin with so usually they won't need any help. The main thing is just you know Express Yourself as being hard-working and that you just want an opportunity just to do the job and let your work speak for itself. That's the main thing that everybody cares about out here it's just doing what you got to do and being safe. So I would also say try to talk to probably one of the bigger companies. Since they usually can benefit from having diversity for tax purposes so you'll probably have a better chance of success of getting a job through them.
    One of the best companies that is out here if not the best to run for depending on who's saying. Would be Mann Energy Services they pay really well, Good equipment and I don't think I've ever met anybody that had anything to say bad about them. But if you can't get on with them or wherever you're trying to be at. Just make sure that you're expressing the fact that you are hardworking obviously and you're willing to do whatever it takes to make it in the fields. And usually you'll find somebody somewhere that'll be willing to give you a chance cuz almost everybody out here is good people.

And the whole time I've been out here I can literally count only two people that have ever had a problem with ever. That's not even a joke which kind of feels weird to even say that but it's the truth. So all I would say is just express yourself for what you really are be honest and trustworthy and be willing to work your butt off and you'll find something out here. But I wish you the best of luck in your search!

7. Patrick Star

Patrick Star Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Also one last thing if you can get your tanker endorsement. And try to be a water hauler since that's usually the most consistent work at least around in North Dakota from what it looks like.

Cause no matter what those wells are always producing production water year round. While sand or Rock haulers or scoria haulers. it's just hot when it's hot and it's not when it's not. Of course that's not every situation but it's just generally from what I've seen in my opinion and what I've found out with other guys as well.

8. OilBoomDreamer

OilBoomDreamer Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Best bet, try a big oilfield company when they do hiring events for these positions. Most oilfield companies frown upon hiring women for these positions. Hate to say it, but they do.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are going to get loaded and rolling, have at it.

Last time I checked, this is a free country, anyone can do this. (That does not mean I should =)

Have fun, make a pile of money enjoy.

10. Cowboygirl45

Oct 17, 2018
    Thanks a bunch for your input! I am Class A, tanker, hazmat, doubles/triples endorsed. Actually at this point, I think the only thing I'm not endorsed for is motorcycles (and I should be lol). Working hard is easy for me, that's all I've ever known. I grew up on a farm, then married a rancher and spent 18 years doing that. I've actually got a small company looking at me to hire, and I've heard GREAT things about them. I'd prefer to stay small and away from eLogs. I genuinely just want to work as hard as I can in as many hours as i can to take the best money home possible. I'm now divorced and just getting back on my feet.

11. Cowboygirl45

Oct 17, 2018
    Thank you for your input!

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.