Advice Needed From 3 to 5 Truck Fleet Owners

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Nootherids, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm trying to help you... but if you don't take advice I certainly can't.

You need to develop a thicker skin if you expect to make it in the business world... you can't dismiss every piece of creative criticism.

I got my ### chewed plenty of times over the years for dumb ### mistakes I pulled... but the things I did well made up for it as a rule. If i couldn't take the heat I would have quit and gone back to turning wrenches for a living.

When I was young I and a rookie driver I kept my mouth shut and my ears open and listened to what the experienced drivers had to teach me.... you would do well to heed that advice.

Nootherids Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nootherids

Nootherids Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    @RedForeman...I am nobody to declare if Kooser is "qualified" or not and I have not added any input into this thread to attempt to indicate that I am a "know-it-all". If anything I have tried to make it clear that this thread is to pick the brains of those who know so much more than me, which includes you, Kooser, and everyone else on this thread. Please note that I asked Kooser to please provide us with some of his experiences that will add value to this thread. I was being serious, not sarcastic or a smart ####. So far though his 3 posts were solely criticizing somebody else's posts. I personally would like to read about his personal experiences from his own eyes without having to compare himself to anyone else. I would respect his input whether he had 10 year or 39 years. But making others seem inferior to him is not necessary. He does not have to prove himself to anyone on here. He's already respected for the fact that he's still at it, which is way more than I can say for myself cause I'm not as devoted as he. With that said, Kooser please chime in as you please, I just hope that it's in the purpose of enlightening somebody else and providing useful guidance.

I'm far from being all about "positive" experiences or information. But even negative things can be said in a constructive or destructive way.

@BigBadBill...I fully agree. I have a mentor that is barely possible to understand cause he's so old and can speak very clearly. And he's another one of those crazy old men, but he's the kind that says "you can do ANYTHING". So his advise needs to be taken with a grain of salt and danger too. But his knowledge surpasses me by a mile, so for every 3 crazy things he says he says 1 that is absolutely invaluable information. Unfortunately, these forums don't work as well when treated as a free-flowing conversation since it's post per post. But the information learned from these threads can also be invaluable! And thank you for contributing.

@Kooser...Sorry, turns out I was typing at the same time you were and yours posted above mine :) I blame in on my little lady for wanting to have a mid-posting conversation :p Thank you for joining us and sharing your knowledge. I in no way have the right to talk to you in a smart ### fashion so please don't take it as such. I really do want to hear of some of the relevant experiences you have gone through in your business endeavors (trucking is a business to those that respect it as such...you're not just a driver, you're a trucker!) I'm sure there are TONS, but whatever you have gone through that you feel aspiring O/O's interested in building a small fleet in a couple of years time would find useful and educational, please share with us. Your experiences may have led you to steer away from building your own fleet, if that
    s the case then that's a useful experience to share too.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. Nootherids

Oct 28, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    BUMP... In hopes that more small fleet owners can chime in and add to the education already provided in this thread. :)

5. pavel94

pavel94 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Waterford MI
    To update this topic... My business is a little down time at the moment...First bad truck repair and two drivers got tickets that I had to let go off. As of not prices are okay just need to get everything back on track and the trucks moving with good driver. I just cant seem to find good driver at all.

6. Nootherids

Oct 28, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    Drivers...another big issue for those aspiring for a small fleet. The big fleets have recruiting departments and all but small fleets have to do everything themselves. Pavel, I remember you posted previously that at one point you had one truck sitting for a couple of months while trying to find a good driver, and now it seems that you had to let go of two drivers so back to that again.

We have all heard how drivers can be very shady. Any other small fleet owners have experience or advice regarding employing good reliable drivers?

And any feedback on whether it's worth using the DAC driver reports as small fleet owners?

Any suggestions on where to find/search for good drivers?

7. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I have run the numbers every way I can think of and unless you have dedicated accounts that you feel good about being long term I would not got the employee route. O/O's based on percentage will net you more with significantly less risk.

You are seeing the one issue with mileage pay drivers. For them to make any amount of money they have to drive hard. This leads to OOS violations and speeding. I have a truck leased to me with an employee of the owner driving the truck. The driver is solid and I would consider putting him in my truck as an employee. Even with that the margins are tight. And when you look at the return on investment the money is just not there.

I will go back and look at this thread and see what numbers you posted. But when you look at the capital need for a company driver vs. O/O, I can run three O/O's for the same capital. And get a better weekly net from the O/O than from a company driver. And significantly less risk.

8. pavel94

Nov 22, 2010
    Waterford MI
    I put up ads and stuff yesterday and have gotten alot of calls, I'm waiting for application from five guys, so Ill see how much applications I get tomorrow...
    I will let you guys know what happens. Because I'm looking to buy one or two more truck by the beginning of next year, so Ill need more drivers. What do you guys think is it time to buy trucks?

9. Nootherids

Oct 28, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    I would say read BigBadBill's recent post. He might have a good idea.

You already diversified by running some trucks yourself and leasing some other ones to FedEx.

You already experienced driver problems twice and had a recent major truck repair.

Maybe looking into hiring on Owner Operators to run under your authority instead of buying trucks and hiring drivers might work out profitably for you.

10. pavel94

Nov 22, 2010
    Waterford MI
    Every small fleet owner is looking for Owner Operator at the moment, and its very hard to find Owner... what would be a good plan to find owner operators

11. 1958Pete

1958Pete Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Jonesville, Louisiana
    Excellent post, BigBadBill.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.