Advice needed If possible

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DanOMac, May 23, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOMac

DanOMac Bobtail Member

May 23, 2024
    I am not sure this is in the correct section of the forum but any help would be obliged.

To make this short I made a payment of 1500 $usd to a CDL school as well I got my permit and DOT med card prior to enrolling. With doing this, the school informed me I could enroll in a program where the state would cover the other half of the cost (half loan/grant) which will be waived if you find work and utilize your CDL in your state for 1 year.

This was back in March when this was done and I am not a person who likes to wait forever I want to get things done posthaste.. so coincidentally my start date have been pushed back twice due to waiting on the state which forced my hand to applying to jobs that will pay for your CDL training and give you tanker/hazmat/airbrake endorsement (propane apprentice role) my only issue is the pay isn't the best and it's rather far ( 1 hr drive away) but it starts soon. I also Finally have heard back from the state about issuing my funding which also should start in June. A few key factors here below

1 - apprentice role pays bi weekly which hurts because I don't have alot of cash saved and I know the drive will be costly
    2- I've already paid 1500 out of pocket for school that I finally got the green light to officially start in June
    3- the apprentice role does have a 2 year contract if they were to train you to get your CDL, but if you got it on your own I don't believe that obligation exist.

Any insight? Sorry for the long read

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Which state?

Which CDL school?

Name/title of supplemental program?

Without specifics -- VER-RY tough to give decent feedback....:dontknow:

-- L

4. DanOMac

DanOMac Bobtail Member

May 23, 2024
    Ohio

Driver's edge CDL

Propane company in Columbus OH offered paid CDL training through apprentice however I have already paid 1,500 to school and had my funding sent to the school ‍

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    What is the "propane apprentice" role?

Is it a class A or class B job?

Are you pursuing a class A or class B at this CDL school?

-- L

6. DanOMac

DanOMac Bobtail Member

May 23, 2024
    Apprentice position that will train you to obtain your license and those endorsements the license should be a class B

I enrolled into a class B class for school.

So either way will be class B.

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    WIOA Program in Ohio pays for cdl school at no cost to you and no contract.
    ~
    You should get the Class-A cdl because the Class-A is also good for Class-B jobs.
    The Class-B cdl is only good for Class-B jobs.

austinmike Thanks this.
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Please note: you will make more money....& be in greater demand....if you go for that class A CDL, instead...o_O

-- L

9. DanOMac

DanOMac Bobtail Member

May 23, 2024
    Nope. I made too much money to qualify for this I've already tried. Program I'm in now offers a grant/loan I paid my portion of 1,500, they will cover the rest. Once done with school assuming you pass and have your CDL you have 60 days to obtain a job to utilize your license they will waive what they paid if you use it for a year

austinmike Thanks this.
  10. DanOMac

DanOMac Bobtail Member

May 23, 2024
    Out of question, I HAVE ZERO interest in getting a Class A license for the time being. I went through my first driving school with an A permit not a fan of tractor trailers.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many companies require Class-A for jobs that don't use tractor-trailers. Railroad is one example.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

austinmike and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.