Advice on 3 car trailer for non CDL?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Atlanticus trucking, Jun 29, 2018.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Ram 3500 or 4500 and 5500 are good. I have 5500 cause I was thinking to upgrade to 5 car trailer.

Oh and important thing. The numbers I said above is only possible if you have CDL.

9 car trailer can take 3 promaster cargo vans and I can do the same :D

I was hauling 3 promoter cargo vans from Newark NJ and North Kingston RI and 9 car dudes were hating me cause all they could pull was same number of vans.

Amazon made us good business this winter, no joke I really grossed like 9 car local trailer. I am not just speaking on my behalf I have taken company drivers from new car hauler companies like United, Tribeca and made them owner operators of 3 cars and they are happier.

But again YOU NEED CDL FOR NUMBERS I AM TALKING ABOUT. YOU NEED TO BE 40 000 GVWR. THAT'S WHY I HAVE RAM 5500 AND LOW PRO KAUFMAN.

EVEN THOUGH I WILL TELL YOU KAUFMAN IS TRASH, BUT IF YOU ARE GOOD IN MECHANICS AND ELECTRIC STUFF YOU CAN HANDLE AND MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU. KAUFMAN AXLE FAILED ON 100 000 MILES ON MY TRAILER, I PURCHASED ENTIRE AXLE ON EBAY FOR $1000 AND CHANGED AXLE MYSELF IN THE TRUCK STOP IN 4 HOURS!!!!! OTHER THAN THAT KAUFMAN IS CHEAPEST PIECE OF METAL, VERY STUPIDLY ASSEMBLED BUT IT WILL WORK FOR YOU

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    If your state allows it as FL does & many other states as well, & are dead set staying out of cdl A..

2wd Ram 3500 C&C or pickup with box removed. 14,000 GVWR.
    Take 3 ultra light wedge (5180lbs tare) 12-14000 GVWR (owner chooses weight sticker when buying)
    Sticker it for 12k & there's your 26k GCVRW setup

4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I hauled storage sheds for a while and was on a chat with haulers all over the US. The guys running semi trucks were money ahead every time as the pickups constantly went through transmissions and had engine trouble. To each his own but I would much rather try to find a CDL driver than deal with trying to deal with DOT officers and the break downs that you'll have with a pickup.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And never be able to pull more than 2 cars as it would put one overweight. Heck even a Honda Accord weighs 3100 -3400 lbs.
    So you know, cdl requirements are based on both the actual weight or weight rating. Whichever is greater.

6. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Im telling you right now, the curb weight of a F350 CC DWR diesel is NOT 6500. You’re way lite.

And, you cannot survive in a 3 car paying a driver. Dont waste your money. Seriously don’t do it!

7. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Where you find units to haul should be the last thing on your mind. Im sorry to be an ### But foolishness just gets under my skin.

Exactly how many times by how many people have to tell you that you CANNOT make money with a 3 car and paying a driver? Looks to me like you’re just bent on throwing your money away. I would say good luck but you need more than good luck can provide you with.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  8. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I didn't say I wanted to try this. I'm just letting the OP know how to do it if he's dead set on going that route..

Take 3 even shows on there web site that it is possible to load 3 cars and be under 26,001 gross, as does your post..

3 Honda Accords @3400 each is 10,200lbs.

Easy to get a 3500 2wd dodge to 8,000 empty tare weight. Add to that a empty take 3 ultra lite @5180..
    8000+5180+10,200=23,380lbs..
    Easy, with plenty to spare..

9. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    The main reason why I’m looking for where to get loads is so i can price things out and run projections.

When you say i cant make money with a 3 car paying a driver do you literally mean i wont be able to cover my expenses? Or are you saying that i wont make a ton of money after expenses paid? I’m not trying to get rich with 1 truck and a driver. I’m trying to cover everything including problems and make a few grand while learning the business. Then I’m going to expand. Would i rather have a cdl driver with a 6-9 cars to begin with? Absolutely. But that’s an even bigger learning curve with someone like me who has no experience.

The reason I’m paying a driver and not driving myself is because i have a full time secure job. Otherwise I’d much rather drive to learn the business.

10. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Keeping a truck loaded is a full time job, and yes pickup trucks won't last much longer than a year without problems. So if you already have a full time job then your wasting your time here.

Western flyer and Kozakvod Thank this.
  11. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I do sales and have flexibility in my schedule. My plan was spending 10 hours a week dispatching spread out to whatever times are necessary. How many hours a week would you estimate is required to keep a 3 car loaded?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.