Advice on a good refresher/training company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by xRaymond, Feb 17, 2020.

1. xRaymond

xRaymond Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2018
    California
    Thank you so much @Chinatown you've been a huge help to me ever since I've started this journey and I really can't thank you enough.

Hey @JForce28 right now I'm currently looking at TWT Refrigerated Service. I'm pretty set on them atm. Chinatown recommended them before and I was originally going to go with them. They left a really good impression on me. They have really good trucks that are circled around driver comfort and they are not a huge mega either which is a big plus. Before, when I was set on going with them the terminal manager actually called me to introduce herself and see if there was anything I needed and to see if there were any questions that the recruiter wasn't able to answer.

Unfortunately Schuster is currently not taking anyone with less than 6 months experience otherwise I was probably going to go with them since they are OTR coast to coast. Freymiller is a great company, but they have a long waiting list and most of their trucks still have driving facing camera's which is a big no for me as I plan on living in my truck to save up money and what not. However I heard their brand new trucks won't be having them.

Another one I'm also strongly considering is Danny Herman Trucking, if TWT doesn't work out for me.

JForce28 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xRaymond

xRaymond Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2018
    California
    Just a update on how things are going so far..

Here is a list of companies I've tried and the current status.. @Chinatown hopefully this can be helpful for your cheat sheet as-well :)

TWT, Freymiller, and Danny Herman Trucking: I've been on their waiting list for a good month now, none of them have had any good news. I've been checking in weekly, and there are still drivers ahead of me waiting.
    KKW: This one left a poor taste in my mouth. I was told everything looked great, he loved how detailed my work history was, and they even told me what my job was going to be. Over the next 3 days they were giving me details of my job would entail, what the training would be like, what my status was, and on the third day out of no where he said that my work history was going to be a problem with HR and that I'll need 6 months experience before they'll hire me. Why not just say that at the start instead of playing with my emotions man?
    Eagle KMC: They hire directly through Werner. She said everything looked great but Werner's safety department has to approve me.. that didn't go well.. they denied me, just like they did when I applied to Werner. It was due to attending 2 different orientations, some-how that is now an auto disqualification.
    Melton Truck Lines: I need 6 months experience because the last time I tried (last may) I was told my work history sucked and this recruiter didn't want to step on the last recruiters toes. Yeah..Okay..
    Jones Bros. Trucking: Not hiring out of California
    CFI: Not hiring out of California
    Schuster: Not hiring new drivers, need 6 months experience
    Pride Transport: Not hiring new drivers out of California, 6 months experience req.
    R&R Transport: Must live in LA or Orange County, they do hire new drivers though.
    Wilson Logistics: 6 months experience because of work history
    US Xpress: Only offering teams in CA
    Averitt Express: Denied with no explanation, going to try calling again to find out more.

Schneider is willing to take me, but I'll be starting out at .32 CPM doing 11 western..
    Swift is also willing to hire me starting out at .36 CPM Dry Van, .37 CPM Reefer, and .42 CPM Flatbed.
    May trucking is .38 CPM and also willing to hire me.

Prime Inc is willing to hire me finally since I have improved my work history. The only disadvantage I see is that you're stuck with a trainer for 3-4 months.. not necessarily a bad thing, but my god is that a long time sharing a truck with someone.

I'm supposed to hear from FFE tomorrow, if that goes well, I'll definitely be going with them. If not, I'll have to start writing pros and cons and decide between the 4 mentioned above and grind out the experience. I think it'll either be Swift or Prime.

4. JForce28

JForce28 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Did you check out National Carriers out of Irving Texas? I don't know to much about them but I heard they do a good job training. As they don't run you and the trainer as a team.

5. xRaymond

xRaymond Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2018
    California
    I have, unfortunately they stopped hiring out of California last year. I actually got pretty far into a phone interview before he realized I was in California and quickly ended it apologizing. They are a really good company though with great benefits. Have you found a company yet?

Just a quick update on my end, I finally received a call this morning from TWT Refrigerated scheduling me for orientation on April 6th! After a month of waiting, they finally got a trainer for me. He said everything is looking good, but to be cautious as it may get cancelled due to the Coronavirus.. they had already cancelled one last week due to it.. so here's hoping all goes well and I finally get this show on the road!

jsnell and JForce28 Thank this.
  6. JForce28

JForce28 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I landed a job with the Scranton DPW driving a garbage truck. I'm just what they call a casual at the moment. I have to put in my time to get in with union.
    The job pays $23 an hour to start and once you get in the union you get Cadillac benefits and a pension after 5 years. That's if you get in the union.
    If things don't work out here National Carriers and Freymiller will be the first I call.

jsnell Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.