Advice on buying for 1st time

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by KingRaheem, Jul 4, 2018.

1. KingRaheem

KingRaheem Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2018
    what is the best starter truck with most reliability? Looking to stay 50k or less. To give details as to what in particular I an expecting out of tractor is can handle a beating thru the mountains heavy (strong transmission), reliable, 10 spd, would rather have a little extra muscle than not enough but not overkill. Any suggestions, pros cons would be appreciated and also if anyone knows motors, which would also be best.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Be prepared to spend a lot of money inspecting trucks befire finding a good one.

Is better to spend a thousand dollars finding a reason not to buy a truck, than to buy a truck that has problems that will cost you 30 grand fixing.

4. Youngtrucker91

Youngtrucker91 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I would recommend a 13 speed if your going to drive thur mountains

KingRaheem Thanks this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Ok ill bite. 1999 or older 12.7 60 series 9-10-13-18 speed don't matter. Have dyno done and look it over good. Or get someone to if you have 2 left hands. Some rust is ok its gonna be there but if its real bad walk away.

No paperwork it didn't happen. No one loses their recent inframe paperwork.

This is a business, treat it as one. Driving is the easy part its everything else you need to worry about.

Thats about all I have this gets asked all the time

Would you consider 3.00 mi to pull a flat good or bad?

Your selling yourself short if you think it is.

Something strong and can take a beating in the mountains- a R model with a 237 and 5 speed. Haha

KingRaheem Thanks this.
  6. KingRaheem

Jul 4, 2018
    Found a 2013 volvo w/volvo 450k miles from a highly maintained local fleet that kept trucks gov at 65 for 40k. Very clean inside and out. Not worried about cost of maintenance overall just want to know if truck is reliable. 670 model. I wanna stay away from the ild school style trucks. Just not really how old i wanna go starting out to be honest and alot that i do find are overpriced and traveling across the country looking at trucks isnt gonna work well as i am on the road alot now.

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Call me crazy but that seems awfully high. I know of a 2006 379 with an ict sleeper that can be had for similar money. And its got a 625 hp kitty cat in it with a brand spanking new tranny behind it. Slightly more miles tho, 645k. I'd trade 200k miles for a shower and crapper, not to mention the convection oven and fridge/freezer, 7.5kw diesel generator with rooftop air and satellite.

wore out and KingRaheem Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Got to burst your bubble, no fleet truck is highly maintained.

DO the due diligence on the truck, that's the only way you can get an idea of the reduction in risk of a break down.

Oh and you better be worried about the cost of maintenance, it is the number three cost center for your business.

KingRaheem, Brettj3876 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Extremely clean in and out means it was run thru a detail shop just like a used car. Try to see fleet trucks before they clean them up and remove tires that are wearing wrong.
    If given maintenance paper work, check serial number to make sure paper goes with the truck.
    pre emissions truck can save thousands a year on repairs.

KingRaheem, Brettj3876 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  10. KingRaheem

Jul 4, 2018
    Thats not ideal for startup! Yes seems like a good deal in the road traveller who doesnt mind living on the road for years at a time but startup truck you completely went right by the point of the post but info was enlightening.

11. KingRaheem

Jul 4, 2018
    So what would be the ideal truck? Nobody is answering with what specs to look for. Be direct. What is better truck around 400k and what motor? Opinions are appreciated brothers/sisters.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.