Advice on the first Truck

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by T2T, Feb 9, 2016.

1. T2T

T2T Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2015
    I do not have CDL. Now I want to start my own company. I will work with a driver for my company. I want to lease my truck to a company as OTR. The recommendation I have either go with 2007 or the new Freight liner truck. I was told truck between 2009 and 2013 have DEF, DPF and a lot of computerized systems which is very expensive to handle. When I check 2007 , most of them are 900K to million miles on them already. My budget is upto 50K. what do you recommend the best truck I can have as my starter truck ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. josh polk

josh polk Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Bowie TX
    why Frightliner ?

4. T2T

T2T Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2015
    As per my research, Freightliner is more reliable, easy to fix and parts are less expensive & easily available. Finding a good mechanic to fix the truck is easier than other brands. One can differ with this but this what I have heard so far.

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    They have a dealers spaced out all over usa but some of their newer trucks have more plastic inside than other model trucks?

6. josh polk

josh polk Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Bowie TX
    Ok
    Thy also have no resale value
    Parts are cheap ur right and there's a reason for that
    But if u are happy and u can tell ur self as ur walking to the fuel desk after u fuel and u turn around and look back at ur Frightliner that there's 4 more in the fuel bay just like it cause the parts are cheap and say to ur self man that's a beautiful ride I love that truck good for u
    A Frightliner is just a Frightliner there is no pride in driving one its just truck
    If ur going to go in the trucking Business buy a truck that makes u proud and b in love with it baby treat it like a lady
    I'm just saying there's no PRIDE out there anymore buy a truck that separates u from the rest
    This will all make sence to u some day I hope
    Many blessings to u brother

stayinback, Dye Guardian and T2T Thank this.
  7. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Er... not to be a turd but you don't even have a CDL? How much industry experience as a whole do you have? It's one thing to read things on the internet, it's a whole other to actually have driven and gotten some experience with trucks. That said, if you're determined to start this and looking at trucks of the 2007 vintage, you need to find one that has gotten an overhaul done to it recently...or else you will be in for a world of hurt.

T2T Thanks this.
  8. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I am going to have to quit reading this forum when drinking! Let me get this straight you have no CDL you know nothing about trucks. However, you want to start your own trucking company on 50k. Should be no problem.

tommymonza, EverLuc and RustyBolt Thank this.
  9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I hope you plan to have a second full time job. Unless you can find some really gullible student driver to run for 20 cents a mile, you won't be putting much in the company bank account on one truck.

T2T Thanks this.
  10. T2T

T2T Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Indeed I have plan to expand my company in the next couple of years. I have been in travel industry for the last 15 years in different roles including project management. Definitely I am not expecting to fulfill all of my financial needs out of one truck operation. My plan is to start with one truck and grow into 3+ within a year. I do have revenue to support this model until it becomes profitable for me. During this time I am planning to keep my day job which is 50% of the time working from home.

But I appreciate your valuable advice....

11. T2T

T2T Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Everyone has to start from some place. Though I do have some experience working in the travel industry but due to my current situation I will not be able to have hands on driving ( CDL )... This is one of the action items for me to do sometime in future. For now I am planning to start with one truck have someone to drive and expand to a small fleet in near future. I do have finances to support this model.Thank you for your recommendation on the 2007 trucks. I appreciate it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.