Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by brsims, Jul 2, 2019.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    How's this for a deal!

2014 Pete 579. Cummins, 10 speed, 3.42 rears, gutted down to 65 mph.

$61,500 flat as is, where is.

I like the truck. I drive the truck every day. It's a good truck, and a solid money maker. But that darned red oval on hood is NOT worth $61,500 for a FIVE YEAR OLD FLATBED DRAGGING RIG!!!

Especially not when I can find similar trucks with the same engine/transmission set up, better rear end ratio, and similar mileage for $20,000 LESS!

Oh, and I were stupid enough to lease it through the company? $84,000!

Honestly, these carriers really do believe we are stupid! I'd be insulted if it weren't so ###### funny in a kinda sad way.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Research Cummins IS fuel pump. And engine rebuild costs.
    Then look at a 60 series or n14 problem areas and costs to fix.
    I've owned both emission and non emission trucks. NEVER gain will I OWN an emission truck. I'll just rebild or go company driver. These new trucks are too much of a cap shoot. The older they get, the worse they get.
    All trucks break, fact of life. The older preemission or the newer gliders are easily UNDERSTOOD and repaired because of the lack of sensors and computers and all the black magic that goes into the new stuff. Can't count the friends and even our company trucks that have these issues and spend days weeks months trying to be sorted. And it's not all engine related. Friend has a volvo that the ac system cost him 7k and a bunch of downtime over the last 6 months and after the dealer replacing almost everything it was the can bus wiring from cumputer to Controls.
    I personally think these trucks are NO place for that low voltage can bus wiring. It doesn't last Ling term and it's impossible to troubleshoot. And a 2014 truck is FULL of it.

DUNE-T and brsims Thank this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I'm not touching this Pete. They'd have to come down by $20,000 before I'd even consider adding it to the "maybe" file.

I know trucks break. Fact of life in the industry. And I've got money set aside for that. Which is why I've got a hard set top price on purchase. Purchase is not going to bite into the maintenance fund.

I'm also looking into a newer model rig because I want to lease on to a carrier. I've got a first choice already selected, but if they don't pan out, my other choices have age limits. I stay inside that age limit, my options stay wide open.

Gliders are nice. Well respected gliders cost serious money. I DO agree with the ease and cost of maintenance on the older engines, but I'm also looking at a bigger picture.

My original plan involved a good glider, but that glider up and disappeared on me. Guy got offered more money than he could say no to, and I didn't have the financing set up.

I've also tracked the expense of a newer truck. The numbers, mixed with my own mechanical knowledge and ability, do make a newer emissions truck a viable option for me.

I also have a known selection of quality shops in my normal running range, plus a local shop where I personally know (and trust) the owner and the mechanics.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.