Aero Vs Long hood for dry bulk and good MPG

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 66seven, May 27, 2024.

1. 66seven

66seven Bobtail Member

May 9, 2024
    Hey guys, I hope I can get some people in the dry bulk industry or drivers that tends to run grossing close to 80k as possible. Im looking to get a brand new truck and run a pneumatic tanker in the next year or so. Of course I’m looking at w900s (lol) but I’m concerned about fuel mileage. I want to average about 7 mpg and if anything more is possible while running heavy I would love the suggestions. That being said I have 2 questions..
    is anyone running close to 80k gross that drives 60-65 mph with a long hood getting 7mpg?
    Is there any drivers running an aerodynamic truck that average 7 or more running heavy? And if you do.. what trucks and specs are you running?
    Kind of a long winded post but thank you in advance for all who answer!

viper822004 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I run dry van and have a 2023 Volvo VNL 860 with a D13 500HP and 2.79 RAR. When I run 80K I tend to get 7-8 MPG depending on location. Normally never get less than 7.5 and I drive 67 most of the time. The 7 MPGs are when I am running 70 plus in a hurry. If I can run 62 I would stay close to 8 in Most any area with some kind of decent miles.

viper822004, Truckermania and 66seven Thank this.
  4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Don’t know about running that light, but I can get mid 5s with a bucket or a Walker at 100k, obviously you will have more idle time then either of those with the unload time.

Honestly, especially not running general spot market freight, get what you want, no sense walking out to a truck every morning that you hate, high idling to off load is going to kill milage on anything to begin with

gokiddogo, slim shady, Feedman and 6 others Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The year and a half I pulled pneumatic with my old 579 I got 6.37 on paper. I was right at 30k empty compared to the guys with hoods who were pushing 32k. Pneumatics pull hard and catch wind in a lot of places, plus depending on what you’re doing every day you could easily have 10+ hours of idle time at 1000 rpm running your blower.

I’d worry more about weight than fuel economy unless you know where you’ll be loading all the time. I was on a regular deal and our outbound food grade loads were always 24 ton. One backhaul place I could get away with loading 27 ton. At the other two backhaul places you loaded on a scale and you weren’t leaving over 80k.

IMG_1924.jpeg

6. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Might be an aero truck but still a nice looking ride….specially with the shiny pneumatic behind it

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    12 t800 isx15. 13 speed. 100k.

Pto 1 hour load and unload.

6.9mpg.

Feedman and Siinman Thank this.
  8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Also, how big of a trailer are you going to pull? A low 1200 cube trailer will pull easier than a 1600 cube food grade trailer like I pulled. That trailer was 13’2”.

Feedman, Siinman and 66seven Thank this.
  9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I think another thing to consider is where in the country you'll be running. And are you doing local, multiple loads a day, or longer stuff and maybe 1 load a day?

I run a Western Star 4900 (glider with a Cat), and do local runs, 3 loads a day usually. I'm in central PA in the hills literally all the time. Right now, I'm averaging 4.8 mpg. Last week I went for a stroll to Maryland, which I haven't done since last summer. That trip I got 5.8mpg.

FWIW the best I've gotten was running between Martinsburg WV and Mechanicsburg, PA. Two loads a day, 6.8 mpg average over the 5 months I did it.

Aero vs. hood? Well, I can't see it matters much in what I'm doing. I'm not running the highways much, mostly two lane hillbilly hell. And the guys I know running aero trucks aren't doing any better on fuel than I am. Even running the longer runs we have, it really doesn't seem to make much difference. The trailer is what really hurts...

Vampire, Sons Hero, W923 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. 66seven

66seven Bobtail Member

May 9, 2024
    To be honest it’ll be whatever Bruce Oakley runs. That’s who I’m thinking about running with unless I do decide to go on my own.

11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Where are you located? Last I heard Oakley wasn’t even paying $2 a mile…

66seven and Siinman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.