After 5000 miles of buying the truck, needs NEW ENGINE!!!

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by DmitriC, Dec 1, 2018.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Wonder what resale value on Paccar product vs International? Seems like most problems boil down to lack of preventive maintenance.

Rubber duck kw, 062 and wore out Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I think this is the correct reply.
    OP should have walked away at that point.

Old or new has no bearing in this story.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Resale is good on the KWs and Petes but I strongly urge people to stay away from them as I said previously.
    There is a decent sized fleet in my area that has bought Peterbilt for years and all their new trucks are now Freightliner. They can’t keep the Paccar and Cummins on the road. I’ve owned two Cummins myself and it almost put me out of business.
    There is another fleet, also pretty good size, they still get KWs with Paccar and a few Cummins but they stopped buying them and just lease them for 350k miles. They couldn’t keep them on the road. They decided the extra money to lease the trucks and get rid of them quick was worth it compared to the high maintenance cost of buying and keeping them to closer to 500k.
    When I see the question come up on here I recommend anyone buying new get the new A26 motor from International, that I have and it’s great, a Freightliner, or a Mack/Volvo D13. If you’re buying used I’d get only the Freightliner or the Mack/Volvo, the Navistar N13 was a big step in the right direction but I still don’t think it’s as good as the Detroit or Mack/Volvo. The new A26 however, is fantastic.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    The MAN D26, time will tell.
    My local Mack dealer is a small family owned dealer with the brother in charge of service and sister in charge of sales. They pretty much have told us to stay away from "red" Volvo motors.
    We used to run 2674 and 9200i binders. Cabs rotted away, wiring was garbage, and plastic dashes fell apart. Salesman still stops to visit, but he knows ain't a chance in this world the owner would buy another International.
    Once again, any emissions engine will cause you trouble if you don't keep up with preventive maintenance. Overheads, dpf cleanings, EGR and air management sensors all need to be cleaned and maintained for proper operation.

KB3MMX and daf105paccar Thank this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I bought one of these for $5.00 back in 1986. It didn't include the key, and I had to hot wire it. I forgot to wire up the electric fan, and I made it 30 miles before it blew up. It was a fun joyride though.
    [​IMG]

Derailed Thanks this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I would recommend staying away from all trucks and motors with emissions #### on them, it's something that will only cost you money and never make you a penny.

8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    And that leaves what, a Vulva, 'Shaker or a Thirteen-letter ****-spreader? Detroit's one-boxes are ticking time bombs, Volvo D-motors are complicated electronic messes that are in the shop for weeks waiting for parts and the Maxxforce is laughably bad.

The new X-15's are great motors, and Paccar trucks are still built better than those European imports and Daimler's cheap, plastic piles of crap (Western Star is still a bit of an outlier, and usually a good buy). They are good fleet trucks, but an O/O should never consider brand new unless they've got a pile of cash burning a hole in their bank account.

Just because you had a bad experience with a couple Cummins motors doesn't make them all bad, nor does a single fleet having problems with a brand of truck, makes an entire corporation's products bad. My company runs Peterbilt's almost exclusively, and has been doing so since the 1970's. They only started leasing rather than buying after the MX-13 came out.

9. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I can tell from your language you have a strong brand loyalty to Peterbilt. I don’t have brand loyalty and only care about what gets the best MPG and what lasts. The Cummins and Paccar products have a soot problem that causes too many premature failures that the other motors don’t. It’s not just my experience with two of them, I gave the example of two fleets between the two have over 500 trucks. There is another fleet my friend has been working for that had Peterbilts on order but because of their experience with the first two they received, they cancelled the order. Both Paccar powered trucks were in the shop within the first month they got them for “significant downtime,” what the issue was I don’t know. That fleet was a 30 something truck fleet. There is another fleet in my area, about 75 trucks, that stopped buying the Peterbilts with Cummins and Paccar and are now buying Volvos. These are just examples in my area only.
    I read a bulletin a few months ago from Cummins that due to the number of complaints regarding oil consumption on the X15 they would not consider remedial action until after 50k miles. The CEO of PTL trucking out of Kentucky released a newsletter complaining how the X15 has failed to meet expectations. There are signs that the Paccar and Cummins products are failing to perform is all I’m trying to say.
    Like I said earlier, when they’re new, I’m sure it’s great, but put some miles on them and they aren’t performing as promised.

KB3MMX, Sisbro and bzinger Thank this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    And yet, I've only heard bad things about Volvo and their service network nightmare. Funny how anecdotes work, isn't it?

gokiddogo, magoo68 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You make an old truck sound better and better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.