After all manner of diagnostic tests with

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Timin770, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK what ever you say. I will stick to what I know, you believe what you want to believe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    OK what ever you say. I will stick to what I know, you believe what you want to believe, since by your own admission you threw a radio away because "your old ones sounded better".
    A good technician can take any radio and and make it sound the way he wants it to sound. If someone gives up on it and throw it in the garbage can that means they are incapable of making it sound the way they want it to sound. There's nothing wrong with having limitations but it's always best to be honest about them. If there's only a single guy on the planet that can get a dual final export radio to produce a perfect wave at 80 Hertz or 200 Hertz or seven thousand Hertz or five thousand Hertz or anywhere across the whole Spectrum without a single shred of distortion anywhere then I would say that makes that person a "guru" in the truest sense of the word especially if they can make it happen without bypassing the audio chain and instead modify the audio chain to achieve the desired result instead of throwing it in a garbage can and giving up on it. Have you ever heard of dunning-kruger syndrome?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  4. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK what ever you say ... I know what I know. you know what??

What ... Dunning-Kruger?

You a psychologist now?

I thought you were a Rabbi.

5. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    The point being made about “guru” in Amateur Radio is that for a given task you are expected to be able to DIY. Thus tests and certifications. One has peers. Greater or lesser experience. Thus, respect is expected.

In the strict sense, the guru is the single man with the map to the Road of Enlightenment. He is more than John the Baptist, but neither is he Christ Jesus.

“Guru” has been dumbed down. Profaned. How I used the term to award the author of a body of experience painstakingly published online for the rest of us. A roadmap. But not THE roadmap.

As to claims about old what’s his face, examination by others would precede any title of competence, much less authority.

My joke about consensus and science is that they ARE NOT allied. A tech somewhere may well have produced superior work. But no claim of “science” can be made unless the effect is reproducible, A bunch of happy customers is nice, but it’s no award of title or superior technique if either “guru” or “science” are bandied about. More is required.

6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Consistent repeatable results every time regardless of what radio you throw at him. That means it's not just some component values pulled off of CB Tricks website and applied to multiple radios. Doing that would always yield inconsistent results due to sloppy tolerances in components. To achieve identical results every time lots of mathematical calculations would be necessary to calculate component values since no two radios are alike.
    That's crazy stuff right there.

7. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    325 million people in the US. 37 million more in Canada. With thousands of radio techs coming out the military, tech schools and OJT, the claim that only one guy can achieve Nirvana is preposterous. The fact that a second guy out of those millions hasn't met another radio tech of that caliber is just anecdotal goulash

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If you understood the school of thought, you'd understand. Schools produce people who think a certain way. Once you've been taught certain things, or been conditioned to think a certain way, it's hard to unlearn misinformation. This has already been discussed but it went right over your head.

The last 15 minutes is the best part.

Think about how this would apply to an rf test bench. Dummy loads are frequency dependent, or only purely resistive at certain frequencies. The implications are shocking once you wake up and smell the coffee.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dummy loads are frequency dependent, or only purely resistive at certain frequencies.

what??

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Nist labs have different loads for different frequencies for calibrating test equipment.
    I thought you knew that?

11. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    This was a good video on Coax. I think the reason the coax made a difference in swr, was that he was hooking this balun up to a long wire antenna. Since it’s a long wire, it has no counterpoise to make up the other electrical half of the antenna. This is basically the same principle with the no ground plane antenna, since the coax is part of the antenna system. I believe with a correctly installed CB mobile antenna, the coax doesn’t/shouldn’t effect the swr reading.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.