After First Self-driving Fatality, Experts Say Millennials Might Flock to Become Truck Drivers

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Brucely, Mar 19, 2018.

1. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    I’d like to respond to the epic rant, but there’s just to much to cover. He’s right to a point about boomers though. But I do wonder if he knows the difference between health care and insurance, because so few know. So many think that buying insurance is buying healthcare. Also want to point out 40 year olds are not boomers. The last year of boomers was born in ‘64.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Oh, and I almost forgot. Those saying they won’t see autonomous trucks in their lifetime.............. they are already out there.

4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Honestly there is no reason for any person to be outside or on the highway.
    Everything can be delivered to our doorstep by driverless vehicles and robots and drones.
    We all have FaceTime so we don’t have to travel to meet anyone.
    Everyone has a giant tv so movie theaters are obsolete.
    Sports can be watched st home on that same tv.

Bowling is the only thing we would need to travel for.

5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I was a licensed health insurance agent years back. I don't care how my medical care gets paid for, I do not want to live my life living in fear of getting sick because the doctor will ask me 'how much can you pay?' instead of 'this is how much this costs' followed by some sane number.

Today if I get sick I'll get to enjoy being uninsured but actually capable of paying for it.... But only if I get so suddenly sick that I can't buy a ticket to somewhere sane.

6. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    This is what airline pilot's have been dealing with for years, hours of watching gauges and hands off flying have led to all kinds of deadly accidents. Your asking a human to act like a machine, to at a split second make a decison while still trying to process just what is going on. That being out of the loop decision making is compounded by pilot's with less hands on flying experiene than their veteran peers.

7. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Pretty sure airplane traffic is nonexistent. . . so it's not like they have to worry about pedestrians or what not.

But it sounds like you have experience flying, while I hve never flown a plane...

but i just feel like the analogy is too far off. Planes in the sky don't even have lanes XD. Just altitude levels they need to stay at.

8. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    truth! soon u can use facetime + drone to send your ***** to your partner instead of actually having **** because wow digital and autonomous world woohoo! inter-continental pregnancies ftw!

tucker Thanks this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    It sure would be mind numbing. All of these self driving cars and trucks being tested have a human behind the wheel. But after several hours of just sitting there while the vehicle drives itself, how alert are they? Heck they might not be even looking at the road.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  10. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    I have never piloted an aircraft but due have a great appreciation and respect for those that do. I watch lots of programs on airplane disasters and why they happen. Air space is very much controlled and such a way that there kinda are lanes for aircraft much like cars. Automation in the ####pit has brought on a whole new host of problems much like it will for drivers despite how great these computers may be.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Brucely Thanks this.
  11. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    If otr companies would pay actual miles driven. Along with paying for everything the driver did. At either a flat rate or hourly. I'm sure the unemployment and homeless rate would go down.

Brucely Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.