After purchasing a truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Erictanker, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude, we all see the same question over and over "I just bought a truck, now what?? I want to make the big bucks".

It is like people expect everyone to know what they want and most of the time ask only to validate their decision that made long ago.

I commend the OP for asking but let's get some details, engagement instead of one liners.

This business is complicated enough, too many failures and not enough successes. We all face the same BS by the same groups (FMCSA, IRS, etc. ...) so specifics is needed, especially when someone starts.

In this case there are three or four directions he could go in, O/O with an authority, one with a lease, doing local which doesn't need much and working for someone else while leasing the truck. You can't give advice unless you know what path he is going to take, each thing has different paper work requirements as you know and different ways of getting things done.

Why should I be ashamed in that thread?

I gave entry advice from my point of view, most failures I see are caused by under-capitalization while the second reason is mismanagement. He responded and said the money isn't the problem, so I left it alone. He was asking where to land, that's great because he didn't want to do paper work because he was overwhelmed by it, which I can understand so he asked for companies he could lease to.

In some cases yes, you need details, it isn't easy to decipher things like this - "I got my dot card refused" or some other thing that they write out of exasperation, it is hard enough to form an answer with a lack of information that changes that answer completely.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Gotta start somewhere. A little more info, maybe someone can help You. All info is the opinions of each individual and in no way endorsed or guaranteed to be accurate and no warranty of such shall apply

dwells40, Erictanker and flood Thank this.
  4. Erictanker

Erictanker Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Wrightsville, Ga
    Never thought about it but he’s right need llc first so company can buy truck

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Are you going the old route to protect your assets or for tax reasons?

Erictanker Thanks this.
  6. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Unless the OP is going to have a driver working for him, a LLC will do little to protect his assets.

7. Erictanker

Dec 22, 2018
    Wrightsville, Ga
    What’s best route

8. Erictanker

Dec 22, 2018
    Wrightsville, Ga
    Down the road I’d like to hire

9. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    :laughing3:

10. Midnight_tim

Midnight_tim Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2018
    First thing first you need to mentally prepare yourself for the #### storm of work that is about to come your way. You really should get comfortable with the fact that you're probably going to be pissed off at least once a day or more. Google "How to start a trucking company" or consult someone. If you're really out of the loop you can have DAT do most of the leg work for you but it will cost you about double or more than it would be if you did most of it on your own but they really do know their stuff.

some of us are just stuck in a perpetual headache since our first day in trucking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.