Air bag only half way on!!!!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Adamprov3nch3r, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Adamprov3nch3r

Adamprov3nch3r Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2020
    I got a refer spread axle and someone cut my connector to the dump valve line to trailer so I had to manually dump air and I was blindly reversing out of a parking lot onto a busy little street and ####### were swerving around me and honking even though i was doing this with considerable speed. Well im use to driving tandem trailers and refers so my dumb ### forgot to close the valve and drove a good 20-30 miles like that empty. and both driver side bags on trailer got stuck over the lip and 1 passanger and i sprayed all of them with soapy water and turned air on and off because it wasnt fixing itself compeltly with help.... Then I turned them on and while letting them fill up i went for a drive around corner and over a few speed bumps and 3/4 were now good but then I checked the back driver side and I couldnt even see a lip and then looked at the back side and noticed it slipped halfway off the top mounting plate and im assuming the bolts snapped off. The whole bag slid about 5 inches to the rear on the top.... Can i drive to the shop like this???

2. RoosterNB

RoosterNB Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Depends how heavy and how far. I know that isn't much help, and you probably already had to make a decision by now. Hopefully it worked out for you.

Adamprov3nch3r Thanks this.
  3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Yes I had the same thing happen one time. I take you are empty. I drove my trailer(empty) to get it replaced. I had no issues. All the best to you.

4. 359 classic

359 classic Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2020
    Shut air off to that bag by closing valve or pinching line with a locking pliers then drive to nearest shop.

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Blindly reversing out onto a busy street at a considerable speed and people blew their horns ?

6. Adamprov3nch3r

Dec 26, 2020
    I had a spotter tryinf to stop traffic with a bright flash light. And yes a considerable speed as in i was being considerate and not takikg my sweet ### time going inch by inch

magoo68 Thanks this.
  7. Adamprov3nch3r

Dec 26, 2020
    How do I close the valve because I tried 2 pairs of vice grips starting in the closed positions got them to lock with all my str almost turned air back on to no avail the dam lines are rock hard old solid ### rubber I took vice grips off and it just left heavy indentation in rubber

8. Adamprov3nch3r

Dec 26, 2020

The messed up part is i called my boss and he said its been like that for months now and he's loading this trailer everyday and loading it heavy..... So I just drove 400 miles today phx to Nogales picked up full load of peppers and then drove home like that. Im hoping to fix myself before I have to deliver 2 a.m. Monday is it possible to do when loaded? Back drier side???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.