Air Conditioning from the Reefer (fake or real?)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by albert l, Jul 19, 2017.

1. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Lol.. I have been wondering how they haven't found a way to use the reefer alternator to power truck ac instead of having to idle truck or have apu.. surely they could beef up the alternator to supply enough juice to run air conditioning.. like shore power type deal.

Intothesunset and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hm. That's interesting.

Ye Gods, of all the trouble ive seen in hot cabs I never thought about that little workaround to get cold air into the cab, you would need a stout fan to pull it into the cab.

It would be a great work around for anti idle.

In the past I have read technical descriptions "The Trucker" newspaper (Do they even print that wonderful old rag anymore? I miss it so terribly...) where the connections beyond the air lines and pig tail are made to a custom reefer trailer to support and provide the cab with heat, air conditioning and hot and cold water for showers etc. The way the technical papers put it it was a beautiful solution to everything. Even 120 volt house power would have been availible to the cab and sleeper. (Although it would have to be wired to oceangoing marine standards because sometimes big trucks get wet etc)

Someone should give that dryer hose a go from the trailer reefer's ventilation door up there into the cab as shown here in the picture see how it goes. Remember you can heat a reefer to 90 degrees for winter heating of that cab. Although I don't see it going well without a uber fan and ducting to "Pull" that heat or cold into the cab.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No, because as far as the likes of Carrier and Thermoking are concerned, trucks have A/C now so there's no need to give that a second thought.

Intothesunset and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not every company considers that a worthwhile expense.

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The two whose AC's have failed did not accept that expense. However the Law sez that the shop has replaced the entire system and the bill stands at 1500 dollars with labor and parts all in, pay em.

Today.

The yelling has not stopped from the two companies I managed to work around failed A/C systems. Although finding a T/A Mechanic who will not question my request to replace a 1500 dollar subsystem in it's entirety in a company tractor is not too difficult back then. They can use the money. Only someone has to pay it.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission I say. Lightning does strike twice.

7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Expensive payroll deduction though...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One did.

That was where the savings came in. Took a kick in the teeth it did. But I had savings so I could back up my big mouth and precious new A/C that causes a layer of ice to form in the worst of alabama summer.

Bossman made a point of handing me THAT check. I opened it up saw the negative 1645 or so and it seems like the blood drained out of me then and there. Then I remembered that have savings for that type of problem and the world is right anyway. I smiled at him and said that's settled then Boss. That truck is mine to keep until you fire me someday for something else.

He paled and asked me you wealthy? I said yes, a little bit of savings, This deduction is not too difficult. It is not too often people turn white when they lose the temper absolute rage inside of them. Those are the dangerous ones I reckon. Yelling is ok, beet red i can do, even purple with a eye not working well and a few temporary body issues those are ok after a while. The whites though... they mark you for life it seems.

Intothesunset, OPUS 7 and tucker Thank this.
  9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I think yall are on the wrong trail here....

I think he is using the AC in the cab to keep the ice cream in the trailer cool......

Intothesunset, PE_T, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  10. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Guess he always goes straight ?

11. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I have seen a company driver hooking battery cables from his refeer unit to his truck to keep his battery powered apu charged. The company had quick disconnects set up and it took less then a minute. It was a big company maybe KB? I'm not sure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.