Air Suspension Leveling valve

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by RERM, Apr 17, 2018.

1. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Well, last week it died on me, under load, luckily it happened about a mile from a Pete dealership. Tried changing it out myself, ended breaking off the leveling arm!!!!, finally, out of hours, right at the Peterbilt parking lot, I threw in the towel. Told them to fix it all and, in the process, install a dump valve and button in the dash.....6 hours of labor and $160 in parts later ($840 total) I got my truck back....

Obviously, the valve had been bad for several months as the ride in the truck has changed dramatically, for the better...I've no doubt it has affected my tire tread life as well....but, and here is the question,

Is there a definitive way to tell if it's going bad???....truck was riding jumpy for months, I just thought it was my worn out tires (still legal, but I know they'll have to be changed by mid summer).....other than that, no warning....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The ride height is where the noticable change was felt. Get in habit of having it checked and adjusted regularly. Suspension ride height changes driveline angles and causes accelerated driveline wear, vibration and poor mileage when severely off.

Ride height valves are only plastic and don't last very long anymore. Linkages are often exposed and get wear or knocked around frequently.

Klleetrucking and RERM Thank this.
  4. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Shouldn't affect the ride at all unless its failed completely. When l see them go is they won't maintain a consistent ride height or really slow to respond. I fought with mine for a while to find out the supply filter/regulator check valve was freezing up. The height control valve was fine. One thing l would suggest if you're crane unloading/loading anything heavy dump the suspension first. I see guys leaving it aired up all the time and its just hard on everything imo.

TheGodfather Thanks this.
  5. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, total failure to maintain constant inflation.....but before it failed, I noticed the ride (probably for the last 3-6 months) was jumpy (my guess, it wasn't maintaining paper ride height)...but I just figured it was tire wear.....or bad shocks....until it failed .....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.