Alberta oilfield driving jobs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by hup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Onetrack

Onetrack Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Red Deer, AB
    I finally landed something solid, unfortunately due to the very warm weather the job that I came out here for has been delayed for awhile, so I hit the ground running and went to several transport companies as well as whatever i could find.

I had a call from formula powell, and he basically rejected me as he said I had zero experience and they were unwilling to take me on.

Sanjel contacted me from Edson, they want me and so far they're the only company to give a proper offer. 3200.00 / month salary + 75% bonus paid monthly (average 2500) plus 500 living allowance, plus 300 tax free expenses monthly towards gear - they'll pay me .46/mile for the use of my own truck, the f150 and the first 13 days are spent in calgary at the training facility then a few days off then 4 days for driver evaluation and training in red deer.

Its the cement crew operator position.. seems like a good fit, and since i'm not getting any response from any other company it looks like I'll go with them.

I don't think anyone would be interested period if I only had a class 5 - much thanks to Oil Patch Trucker for all his help and the tips he gave, probably handed my resume personally to a good 20-30 companies, with all my gear loaded into my truck and ready to go. Thankfully I didn't end up driving to ft mac or gp, although i blanketed both areas with my abstract and resume.

Has anyone done this job with Sanjel? its 30% driving / 30% working / 30% maintenance - you're 15 on / 6 off, but during the on time you're 24 hours on call. I've seen people reporting they doing several hours in the shop and then getting called to a rig and working ~+14 hours or so as they're classified as ' different ' jobs.

The shop is really nice, all new equipment there it looks like its just been opened. I didn't get to Trican although I was in hinton, it was closed for the holidays. ( I stopped at both the transport and fracturing sides of Trican in Red Deer before the new years break).

The guys I've spoken with @ Sanjel seem pretty nice so far, getting a really good vibe off them. Its a means to an end I guess :D

Some of the places I went to (and I went to red deer, camrose and area, edmonton, hinton, edson etc.) gasfrac, haliburton, schlumberger, high arctic services, calfrac, baker hughes, sanjel, pioneer, trican, hi-way9, hi-way13, esso, imperial oil, praxair, sandforce and many smaller private companies.

I came to Alberta thinking the jobs would fall from the sky. Forget that, I came with a great attitude, a professional resume package, a class 1 license, a clean abstract and I had all my PPE / Wintergear and was ready to work.. still put about 3000km onto the truck cris-crossing Alberta.

Now its time to get the experience.

cheers and good luck

oilfield and bartley Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Congrats! I may be getting out of the oilfield work... Im not sure yet. What was the first job you came out for?

4. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I did that job for Dowell (becoming Dowell Schlumberger, then just Schlumberger). In fact, that's how I got my Class 1 as I only had a Class 5 when they hired me. One of the best jobs I have ever had, and it opened up a world (literally) of opportunity for me.

I got to know Sanjel as I was working for a company they bought then a few years later I was at another company and was dealing with the owner and senior-level operations people quite a bit. I liked working for and with them.

5. FREEBRD

FREEBRD Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Lafollette tn
    why do you want out now?

6. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I'll bet there's a female involved.....

7. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Theres more than having a bunch of money and no friends/ Girlfriend... My last few paychecks werent that great either.

8. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    As my dad used to tell me back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was your age Nate...referring to a girlfriend he said...."Just like a city bus, there another one along in 20 minutes"!

9. cariboo_kid

cariboo_kid Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Sask, Canada
    Yeah but not many long term options at a truckstop ;)

10. FREEBRD

FREEBRD Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Lafollette tn
    I SEE! YOUR 21 IM 50 NOW! WOULD RATHER HAVE THE MONEY! BUT WAS LIKE YOU WHEN I WAS YOUNG!
    HOPEFULLY U SAVED ENOUGH TO BUY A HOUSE AN NICE CAR!YA NO THATS WHAT THE LADIES WANT!:biggrin_25525:

11. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I feel this way.

I'm 23 and want to build the bank account and assets up while I can work my little ### off.

I plan for the girlfriend to happen around 25 / 26. By then I should be sitting behind a desk with a bunch of trucks working for me :biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.