Alberta oilfield driving jobs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by hup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. username20142014

username20142014 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. puneetsharma

puneetsharma Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Abbotsford, BC
    I have Quad axle Step Deck (combo). I bought quad/maxi as the previous company I worked for had quads and they are doing regular runs to US. I am trying to go on my own now. Wanted to keep the options open to go south of the border so I got myself a quad step deck. I have talked to few companies for subcontracts already. But if I could set my foot in the door in Oil and Gas industry of Alberta, I would be smiling big time. Any pointers on how to get work as a trucking company in Oil and Gas industry of Alberta or hauling in/out of North Dakota..

4. Sarabeara

Sarabeara Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2012
    OK. The part in my answer where I mention to physically WALK IN to these places, means...Physically get off the phone, and physically BRING your abstract and list of equipment you own.

5. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    And remove an axle.

Sarabeara Thanks this.
  6. BigE.

BigE. Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Well im heading out to SK in the morning, got my courses lined up and a company whos waiting to take me hauling oil on as soon as im certified. He was talking about starting me at $25 an hour but might pay me 25% of what the truck makes and said on % everyone makes more money. What way should i tell him i want to go??? and whats a load norm pay?? Im not afraid to work or do long hours..... this isnt a camp job and ill be paying for my own housing and meals so i need to make the most i can..
    Thanks in advance for the help :biggrin_25525:

7. Sarabeara

Nov 6, 2012
    Hi BigE. Sounds like an infield job. 25% sounds pretty darn low. Honestly. And if he pays you $25/hour, when do you get paid for overtime? Some companies are after 8 hours. Some at 12. For a new guy, it might be a foot in the door - but I'll be honest - I wouldnt touch it for less than 28%. 30% is good for somebody who has worked in it, and understands the hoops, mainly how to understand land locations.

8. BigE.

BigE. Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Ok. hummm that i dont know... i know he was first talking about banking the OT hours for when i take time off but i dont like that idea much, then he said most go % per load and he might start me at 25%. So i guess i will tell him i want more seeing i have lots of pumper exp but just not in the fields so im not totaly green lol. But the more i can make the more i can send home to the wife and kids. So at 30% of a load whats the average pay to the driver per load and how many hours is the average load take just to see if i should keep looking LOL

9. Sarabeara

Nov 6, 2012
    Again, that's going to depend on the distance you travel and so many other things
    to factor in. But, if I hire people who are somewhat green, their pay range is $325-350/day

10. seabring

seabring Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Total low ball offer. Holding back overtime pay is illegal, the excuse "it's for time off" is illegal, that's what Holliday pay is for. $25 / hour is cheap-###, 25% is cheap-###.
    21 year old kids ,green as grass, making $28 an hour with OT in my area. The exp drivers are $30 and up with OT.
    I just took a new job and I'm getting 35% of truck revenue plus load count bonus's. Combining the percentage pay and the daily load count bonus and I'm in the $450 a day pay range just doing a normal day. A better than average day and I'm making even more. I get monthly and yearly load count bonus's as well. I been hauling oil almost 6 months now, so Im not a super experienced guy by any means.
    If you really think this is the only way to get your foot in the door hauling fluid then take the job, work hard and then take the first better offer you get. If you're a hard worker and do a good job you will start getting offers on a daily basis. Then you pick the best one that suits you and move on.

puneetsharma and Sarabeara Thank this.
  11. seabring

seabring Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    if you are wanting to know what you will make on percentage then ask to see a monthly revenue statement for the truck. If the truck has been working steady recently then a statement will give you an indication of what you should be making. If they don't show you that then don't take the job. On percentage it's your right to be given the statement to verify your income.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.