Alcohol being sold at truck stops?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Ex-Trucker Alex, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    I gave up OTR driving some 25 years ago, so I'm a bit out of touch with the modern realities of commercial driving. However, one thing that used to be ubiquitous back when I was driving was that 'real' truckstops NEVER, EVER sold alcohol. In fact, it was such an iron-clad rule that one southern chain (I think it was Pilot) that had a lot of convenience-store/diesel island setups REFUSED to even sell beer to anybody with a CDL, regardless of whether or not they were with a commercial vehicle. I believe that rule was dropped after a few months, but back then you never saw beer or wine for sale in any T/A or Petro.

Imagine my surprise seeing not only beer being sold in a full-service truckstop recently, but an entire walk-in beer cooler! How long has this been permitted? Also, is it still illegal to carry any amount of alcohol (even sealed) in your cab?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Yes still illegal in cab. Now the sleeper bulk, I'm not sure about.
    I may be mistaken but, the truckstop next to motel, I was at for Spoonfed truck driving school. Sold beer.....
    It was west Tulsa exit before turnpike started again. Diagonal to the QT ts, and behind a restaurant. Back in the 90s, when dirt was younger

Flat Earth Trucker and austinmike Thank this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Been to truckstops where they sold beer at the dinner counter.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I remember beer being sold in most truck stops since 1994 when I started. For my first 3 years OTR I think I only fueled at Pilots. I remember them all having beer coolers. Maybe they enforced not selling to CDL holders, but there weren't any signs in them that I ever saw. The Pilot near Carlin NV has a liquor store section inside of it.

austinmike and Opus Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Beer/liquor is illegal anywhere inside the truck.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Back in The day We used to have show and shine parties on the weekends when I was running TX regularly . Alcohol was everywhere

Diesel Dave, mtoo and austinmike Thank this.
  8. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    I've heard that when Mesquite was still dry, drivers would have to drop a trailer on party row at the TA on Bigtown Blvd and bobtail to the beer store. At least that's what I heard.

9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Pilot, Loves, TA etc, arent truck stops any more. They got away from that branding. They are "Travel Centers" now & they cater more to traveling public & vacationers than trucks. AFAIK, they all carry beer, wine etc.

I don't drink like I used to, & while I'm on the road, I never partake, so I've never tried to buy but I'm sure SOME of the guys who are there on their 34, buy a six pack on their first day at least for a cold beer after a week of work.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  10. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
    Back in the 80's and early 90's Truckers Inn, Jessup Md and the 2 Stoney Ridges in Oh. had bars IN the truckstop.

mslashbar, tscottme, drh72 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    My personal rule for drinking to avoid any issues including those within a gray area:

1. zero alcohol on the truck, ever, for any reason.
    2. If I’m out on the road, and I’ve got to do a reset,/34 hour break, and I’m at a hotel, I might partake in some drinks.
    3. Hotel stay out of the truck with a MINIMUM of a 16 hours until driving again. This is because I don’t wanna drive with that sluggish after feeling the next day that alcohol seems to give me. I need extra time for things to go back to normal. Like hydration and all that.

I will, never, ever under any circumstances try to squeeze drinks in on a 10 hour break. It’s just stupid and it doesn’t work. Away from the truck only. Even if I’m doing the 34 hour reset on the truck I won’t drink and go back to the truck and sleep. This is because you never know when you might be asked to move for some reason or another. Best to avoid it all together.

Days off at home? This is the only time I’ll tie one on as they say. I’ll take an Uber and make sure I have a good hangover the next day. Lol.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.