All Carriers Steal from their Drivers

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by rclsr1961, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    So that truck never travels in a place where the governor exceeds the limit?

Your also assuming full days of driving when that will most likely not be the case.In additionbetter companies link fuel and and use into pay and raises. Further skewing that simple equation for a complicated problem.

Your math while on the surface sound is in reality flawed for lack of variables.

Look if you don't want to drive a regulated truck don't do it. But to equate it to theft is preposterous. Just as prepostorous as people taking low pay to drive some WFO large car so they can make the big money.
    Yeah they make less a mile but they make up for it in volume. Goes back to why in the hell would someone want to work more to make the same.

It's a company truck. They will set spec's, pay, and benefits at what the market will bear.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    and to bury your head and saying that running a governed truck does NOT have an associated cost in productivity is myopic as well.

And what "variables" is it missing? 54 mph is a realistic average over time for a truck that runs 62 mph. I should now, I had one that for planning purposes, that's the speed we used.

It may vary from week to week, but over time, that's your average.

My average for this month is between 58 and 59 MPH for the Month for miles vs time driven. This current truck I am in is governed at 67 mph.

I have had 2 hours in there driving the 2 lanes around jolliet IL as part of those miles too. When and if I can let it run down hill, I let it.

The biggest thing that helps me keep my average monthly speed up is keeping the left door closed. But the body still has needs to be attended to. There are also days I leave 4-6 hours on the 11 hour clock because of snafu's at the dock killing my clocks.

The truck I am in historically to company figures is a 5.8-5.9 mpg truck. It's always had issues getting good mileage. Those numbers come from the lady that tracks the fuel for the company. Working with her, my average is around 6.01-6.03 mpg so far.

Same truck, both drivers running it against the speed limiter.

I just keep the left door closed more and have more average driven hours.

4. Stringlessyoyo

Stringlessyoyo Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2012
    canada
    Get paid by the hour with overtime k all should demand it from all the transporters anarchy 2012 get what your worth

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    OK, I'll 'splain it for ya'. You get paid per miles driven. But not all miles, just what the computer says it should be, which of course is less than actual miles driven. Rip-off ? Yes. When fueling, you're not paid, stuck in construction zone, not paid, delayed at shipper, not paid, getting a level one, not paid, waiting for repairs, not paid, sleeping, not paid, doing favors for dispatch, not paid.

Remember, when you hire on, you sell your soul to the bossman. In return, you get to drive, you have the fever now, right ? White line fever........

aiwiron, Everett and scottied67 Thank this.
  6. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    Exactly! Or paid for each mile you drive along with being compensated for all other on duty time. That is the way you should be paid. What's so hard about that?

7. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    Allow Me is right on the money! The only way to change this industry is to force companies to compensate the driver for all of their on duty time in some fashion.

But don't all of you naysayers jump all over me. Relax, it will never happen. Way to many people waiting to fill the seats vacated by others to work for the almighty junk OTR companies.

The depressing saga will continue. At least this forum will continue to exist to provide us valuable information.

dirthaller Thanks this.
  8. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    OK. Your supposition is by governing the truck they are limiting income potential correct?

They can also do it by only booking ultra light loads to compensate for fuel, they can also make a slip seat policy and limit you to twelve possible on duty hours and maybe what 8-9 actual driving depending on account?

They can set starting pay and limit you, they can set cap and limit you. Hell they could say you must take three days off for every week out and limit you. Again it is their truck.

Now how does California, Michigan, the Chicago area, Oregon (insert 55-60 mph state) figure into your equation. Should they compensate you more because now the state is restricting your potential?

Hourly pay. Sure whats minimum wage right now $7.25? So 40 hours is gonna be$ 290. Oh yeah overtime you said that must be were the bigtime money is gonna kick in huh. Let's see 30 hours is gonna be $326.25, so your looking at $616.25 gross if you manage to work all 70 of your on duty hours.

Oh I know you say no one will drive for minimum wage. You probably right but much like mileage pay they will pay just enough to get someone to perform the work required. Not a penny more not a penny less.

It is called free market. Feel free to participate or not.

9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Well, I would bet you could ask your employer to up your truck limiter to 70 so you could run faster and turn more miles if you also allow him to cut your pay by the amount that he would be losing in fuel. Then everyone would be happy!

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  10. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    And I choose not to argue a point with someone who is going to ridicule.

Yes, you CAN save money by limiting yourself to 62 MPH.

But if the speed limit is 70 MPH, then you are costing your company ~8weeks of productivity each year in doing so.

If the government limits you to 55 mph, then that is something that we all must abide by.

And California on highways is 65mph unless posted otherwise.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/speed_limits.htm

Nor do they have or publish a restricted CMV speed.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/sec2.htm#controllingspeed

My point is, if you argue that reduced speeds increase your mileage savings, you are right.

But at the cost of productivity.

Something you refuse to admit is a valid point and erases any savings in fuel costs.

11. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Could you go further with a higher limit sure. Productivity is meaning less at the sacrifice of profitability.

Heck I thought Cali was still 55. I dont go there hence the misinformation. My apologies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.