Allied Waste and Waste Management issues

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by RickG, Jun 7, 2012.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Some may say this thread should be in the union forum but I think it would be missed by waste haulers there . It seems whenever it's time for a new contract the union pension is a major issue . The employer's firm "best and final offer" stipulates opting out of the union pension plan . This is currently the case with Allied Waste in Evansville , IN. http://m.courierpress.com/news/2012/jun/04/30pt-hed1-10-hed1-10-inches-p/
    The thing is the workers have been locked out over a month and not even allowed to vote .
    Does anyone know of a case where the employer backed off and kept the union pension ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ramkatral

ramkatral Heavy Load Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    This is why I hate unions. Nothing but politics.

4. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    I'd say Allied has a part in this also. The employees worked 3 weeks without a contract. That sounds to me like an act of good faith on the Unions part.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    My reason for posting this thread was to make employees and potential employees aware this is likely to be an issue whenever it's time for a new contract .
    If considering applying to these companies you could get hired then a month or two later end up locked oit or on strike for a month or more . Why ? I bet in every case the underfunded pension fund gets dumped.
    What is interesting in the Evansville case is IN recently became a right to work state. Employees at Allied Waste cannot be required to belong to the union.

6. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    There are several reasons some of the pension funds are struggling. And as long as people pull out it makes recovery that much harder. How did the 401K's do compared to the pensions in the recession? All it boils down to is the Co's do not like making those pension fund contributions. In many intences the Locals have cut the Co's some slack and let them fall behind on their payments and now that the economy is picking up the Co's are being asked to catch up. The Co's signed the contracts it is time to fullfill their obligation.

7. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    And true co. and union pensions are very expensive for companies. ( not that I care ) I believe the news just reported that the state of CA.,s employee pension plan is 25M underfunded ........ and look at GM, an estimated $1500 is packed into every sale to cover retiree pensions and bennies.

This will continue to be a bigger issue for employers. They are cutting it out in record numbers and there is not much we can do about it........

For a snap shot on public sentiment....... look at the Wisconsin Governor's recall election.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.