Allowing International Prostar to idle uninterupted. various years with pics

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CruisingAlong, Apr 7, 2015.

1. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    Sometimes you just need your Prostar to Idle, but it's set to cut off after 5-30 mins. My truck had a load shedding issue and our main terminal breakdown department explained how to bypass this feature short term until I could get it into a terminal to be repaired. To bypass, they said to unplug the ambient air temperature sensor and it will continue to idle until you shut it off.

1 shut truck off
    2 Find the sensor. 2014 and newer it is behind the mesh grill in front license plate area clipped to the city horn bracket. In the photos it's clipped where the green dot is.
    on 2013 and older, it's clipped to the drivers side frame rail in catwalk area. Red circle shows the sensor dangling. I unplugged mine and keep it in the truck.
    3 unplug the sensor and start truck. Happy Idling

NOTE--It will set a check engine light while unplugged and depending on your companies policy, this could get you in hot water for tampering with their truck. To turn off the check engine light, Plug sensor back in with key off and start engine... voila, check engine light turns back off.
    newer1.jpg newer2.jpg older1.jpg older2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    rachi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    All I have to do on mine is either idle it up or wait @5min and a light on the dash will start flashing. When it does tap either the brake or clutch and it will keep running.

4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i don't agree with tampering with someone else property. if you own the truck have the ecm settings reset to what suits you. it is also hard on a truck to slow idle for extended periods of time. most trucks you bump the idle for extended idle and it will bypass the idle shutdown and is better for the engine. in my opinion if you don't like a company's idle policy or settings, find a new job they own there equipment if you don't like how they do things find a job where you agree with there policy before tampering with there equipment.

5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I idle the snot out of my truck. But I'm going to have to agree with this.

My truck is pre emissions, plus if I am going to idle over night, I bump the idle up to 800 - 850 rpms. But this is MY truck. I pay for the fuel.

With newer DPF and DEF equipped trucks,.. idling is probably the most damaging thing done to the emissions system. They just are not equipped to handle idling over night or for long periods of time. I went through this with 2 other trucks and it was a disaster.

Talk with your company if you need heat or or too hot in the summer. I idle strictly for comfort. AC or heat. So I do understand that if you dont have an APU and its -5 out or 96f out,.. I honestly feel for you. But its NOT your truck. See if they can do something to accommodate you that wont harm the truck. Else move on to a company with older trucks or APU's.

Hurst

6. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i also have a pre-emmisions truck and idle as needed and pay my own fuel bill and i idle my truck up whenever i idle for extended periods whenever necessary for heat or air. I do make as much effort as i can to not idle any more than i need and don't idle in temps id never ask a company driver to not idle in. if i had any hired drivers i would probably have a idle timer on my truck because i would not want my truck slow idled for 10 hours. esp in cold weather where you will be washing your cyl walls with raw fuel. if i found a driver disabling it to allow the truck to slow idle all night i would be very angry

i have worked for company's in the past that did not care how much you idled as long as you idled on fast idle but would reprimand you for idle time below 1000 rpm (i normally idle mine about 800-850) they didnt care if you sat there for 2 days with the truck running at 1000 rpms with it 65* out side. but 2 hrs at key idle they would say something to you and tell you to make sure to idle it up in the future.

idle time on a dpf truck is even harder on them than a pre-emissions.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If your taking an 10 hour mandated break in the truck it should be the owners responsibility to provide heat/air conditioning .........period.

and to the op that check engine light (even after it goes out) is recorded in the ECM. It will be pretty easy to figure out what you did.....

galpofsuse, double yellow and Lonesome Thank this.
  8. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    While I agree with you 100%, the ProStars will idle up on their own as soon as oil temp drops. As a matter of fact, you can set high idle and it will still adjust up or down as temp changes.

I was in a 2012 for about 250,000 miles it idled away 10 hours a night not one parked regen was ever needed. Sadly emissions failures were the only problems it didn't have.

Pumpkin Oval Head, texhookem and rachi Thank this.
  9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    A Volvo will kick into a parked regeneration automatically during extended idle, especially if it's below freezing.

10. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    My last company truck had the low idle auto kill, but you could high idle all you wanted. Only downside was your cruise speed was relative to you idle time percentage. The higher your percentage, the slower your truck ran. Seemed fair to me.

11. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    That's how my truck is set up. Low idle has the 5 minute timer but bumping it with the cruise to 700 rpm will put it in "Clean Idle Mode" and it will idle till the tanks run out.

Keep it under 29% and it's 69 mph, over and it bumps down to 66.

I'm at 18% idle time and 7.9 mpg.[emoji4]

icsheeple Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.