Allowing International Prostar to idle uninterupted. various years with pics

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CruisingAlong, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Hamham

Hamham Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Fill us in

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hamham

Hamham Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Fill us in us with the 2016s

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I got an old pre emissions day cab I don’t even shut off if it’s cold enough.

Then my sleeper is a newer Volvo. I idle that a lot too. Never had an issue with it since I started driving it a year ago.

I bump up the idle and it goes into clean idle mode. Then when I’m driving I’m assuming it does it’s regen. I’ve seen it do a parked regen twice. One time I was sleeping and it scared the crap out of me.

I’m aware it’s not the best for your truck but my boss doesn’t care. If I had a good reason to get an apu he’d buy me one but since he deals with the maintenance it’s not my problem.

6. Skateboarding

Skateboarding Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Ya, I'm going to 'follow company policy' and 'not idle' when it's 25 out and they haven't fixed my bunk heater. Just like I'm going to 'follow their routing' and take it 30 across PA instead of the pike lol.

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. Jacielbm

Jacielbm Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2018
    I did it, but it won't keep running, 2012 international prostar it will only run for 5 min

8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    If it's got a Junkforce engine it will clog up the dpf filter. Had it happen on several different ones because fixing the EPU was too much trouble for the owners.

But if you dont care, you can set something on the throttle. It barely needs to move to bring it up off idle or even up 100rpm.

9. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    Most likely it's controlled by an actual timer in the trucks ECM and not by the ambient air temp sensor. Nothing you can do unless you have the ECM reprogrammed to allow idle.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I don't agree with tampering with my own. I'd much rather tamper with someone else's.

I worked for a company for many years that had daycabs and no idle possible on any of them. Real helpful when it's 10 or 100 outside and you have nowhere else to hang out. Screw them. They don't give you what you need to live like a human then figure out how on your own.

11. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Yeah. Turning the light off doesn't clear the code. Also, the Qualcomm is probably also recording your idle time and reporting it to the company. I used to unplug the qualcomm at night when I was at Swift. It's a standard DB-15 computer cable. If you buy an extension you can hang the two ends out from under the bunk to make it more convenient.

12. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We should never have to have this kind of converstation.

If a Trucking Company depends on YOU the Human, at least a few gallons of fuel at 1000 or similar RPM through the night to support both regen and engine health combined with the necessary hotel support for you the happy Mr Driver who is loyal.

The least they can do is quit this killing idle BS for a sake of a few coins per night. If they really want to save fuel, install a quality APU with the necessary beef and connections to support a human driver in happiness winter and summer inside that truck.

Anything else trying to do business with trucks that die on pre-programmed command and stay dead by computer order from the company should never be graced with a constant flow of employed truckers working for them. They should thus go out of business and that will be the end of this BS.

This is a semi rant. Im sure there is some truth in there somewhere. Ive been out of the road for a while and cannot believe how some of you are being what I consider abused out there today.

13. UleMsee

UleMsee Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2019
    I unplugged the temp sensor for the 2012 international 4000 to test the idle shut down...result is it has no effect on the 5 min idle shut down

• Truckers Report Jobs