ALREADY Fustrated With Con-way

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by ZX14, Jan 15, 2012.

1. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    I appreciate it ECU,but I am just trying to get an honest assessment of ConWay coming from 3 generations of company driving. I got screwed out of alot of "sitting" pay last week on a load that was badly booked. I was told I would get detention pay, but when I put in for it I got an error message it had to be requested within 24 hours. The thing is I sent the message the second I got the paperwork and was loaded. my FM did finally get me 60 of it, but I sat waiting for the load about 41 hours. It pissed me off for about an hour driving down the road, then I remember I used to sit for 48+ hours waiting on meat loads with FFE and never got a dime for it because I was under dispatch.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

your welcome,you give an honest accesment of what on from your time here,you dont sugarcoat it,,in my time here i figure(this is just ballpark mind you) i think its 1 in 10 that stay(if that),,,,those that do seem to excel and roll on with what comes down the pike so to say

like I have told many drivers here,CWTL isnt for everyone,,otherwisei would be a recruiting fool and making the big peso's,,,crap i was in Joplin only once last year and that was to p/u my new ride

4. lonewolf4ad

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    I have been in Joplin quite a bit so far. 1 was due to a small incident I had to talk to safety, and spend some time on the obstacle course. I've also had filters changed, tires done, etc. etc... Everyone in the shop has been professional, and even were ok with Cookie staying in the truck while they worked. All in all I am more than happy with my treatment, but I am ready for freight to pick up some.

5. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    I too sat alot last week and was told to put in detention then to receive a "refused" over 24 hr bull crap...I made more money the week after X-mas when freight was too be slow and I ended up running up the east coast all week and got 2800 mi + ne pay and stops....I guess I need to call and bug my dispatcher in feet 12.... So far happy to get a steady pay check..just want more miles or I might have to back to teaming....anyone in FL south of Tampa ? PM me if u want to team!

vmaggs Thanks this.
  6. paul_4lp

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Oh and I'm sure most finishers went home Xmas week not returning until Jan 3....add slow freight = no finisher (not done with current trainees)

ECU51 Thanks this.
  7. vmaggs

vmaggs Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Sarasota, Fl
    Just pm'd you. In the same boat, very hard to make a decent living unless your teaming. Still think Conway is a notch above most bottom feeders. I'm just trying to keep a decent attitude until my first year is up in July and then try for something more local or regional. Conway Freight would be cool too.

8. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Hang in there man, and all the others that are in the same boat. I am finisher that has been trying deparately to get to my student who has been waiting for me since last tuesday.

Arrangements were made to get him to me and I should be picking him up tomorrow in W. Memphis.

A couple of thoughts.

1) The finishers that are out with students are trying to get back to JOPMO to drop of their students and pick up you guys. Because I am coming from home I don't have a student in my truck so I am not in that same position.

2) I was in your same poisition a little over a year ago. I waited 8 or 10 days for my finisher and another week or so for a truck when I was done. I made my presence known daily to training while waiting for a finisher and to truck assignment when I was waiting for a truck. I did it nicely of course, and in person. I figured if I asked how I could help solve the problem, such as go to meet my finisher or going to pick up a truck at a remote location, maybe I would get cut loose sooner. I am sure it didn't hurt taking that approach and may have helped. I had a great finisher, and people in my class waited longer than me.

3) This business requires patience. I had to learn that. I am a go go go go now, now now kind of guy, probably not unlike you. I waited for hours for a dispatch. I checked the morning report, saw they were over in my area but short in an area not too far from me. I offered to help in the short area and got a dispatch almost instantaneously. Patience will pay off.

4) When I have a problem, I voice it to my manager, and otherwise don't bother her with the little stuff. Usually when I call her she says "Hi stranger" because she hasn't heard from me in a while. I bet dollars to donuts that the guys that tell you how bad this place is more often than not, are a pain to their manager.

5) Finally, they (everybody in the company) has a job to do and their own set of problems. They may not be solving their problems the way you like, but they are doing the best they can. If you offer to help them with their problem that might move you up from the "bottom of the pile" status that somebody else called it.

For you guys that have posted with problems, ask you manager what you can do differently, or call your finisher for advice.

I came from the same program you did, perhaps even the same driving school. My pay for my first year was EXACTLY what was advertised. After a year, and every day since then, I have had choices. I chose to stay. I didn't see anything better elsewhere. That could change tomorrow, but that's the way it is now.

Hang in there driver. Go speak for yourself and ask how you can help.

Be safe.

RR

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    vmaggs and paul_4lp Thank this.
  9. paul_4lp

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    I might need a "Reboot" for my fm...he's very short with me..seems to hv a additude....nothing that I've done...I heard 18 and 19 are excellent fm's..

10. lonewolf4ad

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
  11. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Its quite possible. Not everyone is a good match for everyone else. I think, don't quote me, fleet changes happen at the first of the month. So if you are serious about moving, you should think about putting in now.

There is a person or department called Retention. Call and ask for them and they can tell you the timing and how to put in a request.

Good luck and be safe.

RR

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.