Aluminum Super B hoppers: Lode King Distinction vs Doepker Legacy

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Dave124, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Dave124

Dave124 Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2019
    I guess since we are comparing aluminum Lode King vs Doepker, how would you rate Wilson amongst them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    You missed the point entirely. I’m 740kg heavier empty with a 48’ tandem trailer than that train combo. That’s a pretty light set of trailers

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I hated the Wilson. I think the newest ones have some better features.

The ones I dragged were about 2008.
    There was gaps in the corners of the slope transition to the hopper, kernels of grain or fertilizer would sneak up in there and cross contaminate your load. I had to be sure to use a pick to clean it out. Took me about 45 mins to sweep them out properly because of that.
    The aluminum tracks for the slides hung too low, some farmers couldn’t get a swing away auger under them. I bottomed out pulling in and out of an old elevator.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's a touch fat on tare aint it?

I don't haul those trailers but lean towards steel for durability considering what weights you will be grossing at. Aluminum is less of a want here.

So in this situation I lean to the steel for durability purposes.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  6. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I'm personally not familiar with hopper bottoms, but have pulled numerous flat-decks manufactured by both companies. The Lode Kings have some alarming problems. Even with wheel alignments, they seem to chew-up tires. Grounding issues with lights once exposed to Canadian winters and freezing valves preventing full inflation of suspension have been the main issues. They also have introduced greased hubs, rather than the traditional oil. Servicing requires full synthetic cold temp grease in winter months, otherwise hubs will freeze.
    Welds on aluminum storage boxes crack from vibration within a few months (not that this applies to you) but maybe the same can be said about hopper walls? Someone else could answer that.
    They are heavier than the Doepkers, when comparing similar frame/deck construction (steel/aluminum combo) and have different axle spacing and overhang.
    Lode King does have a heavier Hendrickson suspension, which tends to take more abuse. They also seem to shy away from full fenders, which reduces damage from blow-outs, easier to chain-up and wash but increased damage from rock-chipping, thus they rust faster.
    Hope this helps.

7. Dave124

Dave124 Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2019
    I picked up a set of used Wilson’s, look to be about 1000kg heavier than the Legacy’s. Resale is good on these, nice trailers actually. Tare was 19,750kg for truck and trailer with 79Gal fuel. Being aluminum they don’t show the wear that steel does (chips and rust).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.