Aluminum VS Steel - Spread VS Tandem?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by CaptainKirk, Jan 14, 2015.

1. CaptainKirk

CaptainKirk Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Virginia
    A broker buddy of mine is ready to put me into flatbed work and I'm getting ready to buy my trailer. I need to stay under 20K if possible, so I know that pushes me out of the aluminum market. I'm just wondering if any of you experienced drivers (especially o/o's) can tell me how my bottom line or potential loads will be affected by using a heavier trailer. Let's say there's a 10K price difference between a 45' steel and a 48' aluminum. How much does it really matter? More than likely I'm going to be in a day cab, so I'll have a little extra weight capacity there.

Also, it looks like spread axles are a little more expensive than tandems. I know that having the spread axle keeps me from having to worry so much about trailer weight, but I've heard the front axle tires wear out a lot faster and you're going to scrub more curbs with the rear axle too. Besides the extra weight capacity on the spread, are there any other major benefits or drawbacks?

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Steel typically pays by the hundred weight, so the more weight you can haul the more money you get paid. That's why carriers who specialize in aluminum and steel hauling try to lighten the equipment as much as possible.

4. CaptainKirk

Dec 8, 2012
    Virginia
    Thanks. I understand the more I can haul the more I have the potential to make, I'm just wondering how much I should be concerned with getting a steel trailer vs an aluminum one. How much heaver is a steel trailer?

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    All depends on the trailers. call the trailer yards they give you the weights, no guessing.

6. comallard

comallard Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Lagrange, GA
    I have a steel trailer and i have never missed out on a load because of weight.

7. CaptainKirk

Dec 8, 2012
    Virginia
    But have you ever been in a situation where you could have mode a few more bucks on a load if you had been able to take on another few tons?

8. comallard

comallard Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Lagrange, GA
    Not that i am aware of.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I haven't pulled many flatbeds, but know many drivers that did, and they all had aluminum with a spread axle. If you can get one with a liftable axle, that helps. Also as far as weight goes, in Wis. I think you can go 40K on the trailer axles if they are 4 ft. apart. Pretty hard to be over on the wagon with that setup. When I hauled RR containers, I checked out an aluminum spread axle chassis, but the revenue wasn't there.

10. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    In normal flatbed freight, the only downfall for aluminum trailer is the arch.

11. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    53 foot step with combination steel frame aluminum decking. Rear axle about 4 feet forward of the back of the trailer. It also should also slide forward. Makes it pretty much a tandom axle. Got a brand new one hook up to truck right now. Grate Dane make. Weighted the trailer last week at 12500. HS one storage box. I wish I had ramps for equiptment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.