Am I A Real Trucker?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by TruckingStraight, Jan 18, 2020.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    The crazy thing about being a super trucker is there is always someone better than you that is more cool than you. I own a Freightliner, and at times feel pressured to buy a Pete just to be more cool. My friends who own Pete's continue to buy more chrome and accessories to be more cool. Then you go to a truck show and see a truck even more cool than yours, so you have to blow more money on stuff and it just gets to be a rat race. A guy told me at some truck shows the judge goes around with a white cloth trying to find any trace of grease or dirt. That's not even realistic trucking. That's some kind of truck show baloney that's got completely out of hand with people who have way to much time and money on their hands.
    Finally what does it matter. Like they say trying to fit in with the Jones's is a full time job and stiff competition. Maybe I'm not a super trucker, but if it gets to where I'm that taken up with it and can't even be friends with the "inferior" other drivers than leave me out. I don't need that pressure.

alds, Mike2633 and dwells40 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Well ..when an "old dinosaur" driving a long nose Pete,Double Sleeper for 4 million miles(knows everyone in the Truck Stops) Isnt going to be "Very Impressed " with someone backing in a Ryder Straight Truck.Normally they are "looking at you" wondering if you are going to "get in their way" at the docks etc. Its nothing personal.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    To hell with just getting in the way. A good straight trucker will beat them to the door :biggrin_25523:

5. My Back Hurts

My Back Hurts Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2020
    As long as someone is operating their commercial vehicle professionally, I never look down on them or consider them lesser, no matter what they drive. Different segments of this industry provide challenges that other segments do not, and vica versa. It's easy for someone to overlook unique challenges, if they have not themselves worked in a particular segment/environment.

One time I worked for an outfit that paints their trucks Swamp Holly Orange. I would deliver things to people in a straight truck, which were often the most difficult jobs (the straight truck was the one with the PTG). Often drivers would get punished when you pissed management off, by being placed in the straight truck for a limited time! It was an effective tool that management would utilize from time to time! What you see isn't what you always get though! That straight truck was just an occasional part of my job. Loading/unloading trailers on the dock was also part of my work. Yard hostling with a POS goat was also part of my job. Pinning/breaking up A-Trains was also part of my work. Doing local deliveries and pickups with said A-Trains was part of my work, as well as 53" van trailer picks/deliveries downtown, in a busy city, backing down alleys where 53" trailers don't belong, all day long. We had a flatdeck as well, so you'd also get yer tie-down strapping fix on as well, every once in a while.

The above is just one segment of the industry I've worked in, and a good example. Was I a "real" truck driver while working for Yellow? I would say I was. Never had an incident in a fairly brutal environment driving junk around town.

That said, I have also worked long haul, and regional also. Reefer, Vans, and Flats. B-Trains also. Wide loads too, some even requiring a pilot car.

Dump trucks, concrete mixers (GameBoy was difficult at first... for those that know).

Concrete was probably one of my more challenging jobs (dry batch plant), and those are typically straight trucks too!

Was I a trucker in any of the trucking jobs I've done? You can bet I was, and I won't let anyone tell me differently.

I spent five years on the highway running true long haul, before I started to dabble in more localized work (since I eventually got sick of living in a fiberglass box)... That novelty eventually wore off, with always being away from home.

Lifestyle choices come into play for some, so I never assume nor judge. It is nice to be home everyday, or at least almost everyday, and that I cannot deny!

OldeSkool, Mike2633 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    [​IMG]

You'll be all interested to know that the pile of leaves that's being sucked up in this photograph was made by me ha-ha.:rolleyes:
    IMG_5440.JPG

7. frontrange

frontrange Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    This is kind of on subject and will give you a laugh. I run tractor trailer and always have 20 years + . A friend of mine runs a few cargo vans here in MI for a courier type service. I had my truck in the shop and my friend asked me to help him out and run one of his vans for a few days. I was at a company in Detroit and noticed a tractor trailer having a hard time doing a blindside into a dock. Me being me I always offer to help. The guy in the truck says "that your van" I answered yes and he starts laughing. He says how about I get out and you try to back it in. I said ok. I get in, set it up, nail it 1st try. The look on the guys face was beyond priceless lol.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    :biggrin_25523:

There you go. “Not a real trucker” my ###. :cool:

9. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    MACK E-6 nailed it back in the third post of this thread.

I drive a 30 foot 26,000 lb. Freightliner Rollback - since 1983.
    My skill-set is not your skill-set.
    Expert blindside back-in for you; 10 minute in and out without being Interstate 80 roadkill for me.
    I couldn't do what you do, and you couldn't do what I do.
    So what?
    Given enough time, each of us could learn the other's skill set.
    I'm just glad I can live thru it to go home every night.

I don't know if anyone of you read my somewhat incoherent ramblings on a regular basis.
    I had previously posted that my wife was diagnosed with lung cancer in April.
    She passed away at 9:20 tonight, surrounded by 3 children and 7 grandchildren and myself.
    (And I forgot; one great grandchild!) I am naturally devastated from this tragic loss.

The Shadow, MACK E-6 and OldeSkool Thank this.
  10. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Sorry about your loss!!! Will keep you and your family in my prayers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.