Am I getting taken advantage of?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jinxninja, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Sounds pretty bad to me. I take home over 4K a month with around 2000 to 2,500 miles per week , never touch any freight hardest part of my job is climbing into the cab.

Jinxninja, Lepton1 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There's adds in our jobs section that may interest you.

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Where in Oregon do you live?

Do you have time off M-F when you can be available to go visit potential new employers?

Jinxninja Thanks this.
  5. Jinxninja

Jinxninja Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2019
    I'm off duty until Saturday this week, just filled out an online application with a previous employer just to see what happens. Never got doubles/ triples, hazmat or tanker endorsements and am planning on getting them so I will have more options available. Not sure how much notice I'm expected to give if I do decide to hire on elsewhere. Would 1 month be enough notice? Was basically hired on with current employer so they would have time to enjoy their hobbies as he was driving the routes previously.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Notice?

You get a job, you quit asap. I would not give a notice.

But this is what I would do to justify your move. Walk into the boss' office, ask the boss for the increase in pay retroactive from the promise date and I can guarantee he will say no way, I would quit that second. I've done this a few times and didn't regret it, in your case you would have a job already so you are not going to burn a bridge with a crap owner.

7. Jinxninja

Jinxninja Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Thank you for the advice, I would feel guilty about leaving that way but it might be how things need to happen. I always hear that he has nothing but good things to say about me when he goes to the bar which is rather confusing since he could show me the appreciation with better pay. Maybe this will be a good lesson for how to treat the people you rely on to make ends meet. Guess I'll just go with the flow and see what happens with my application. His summertime hobby is almost over anyway so he should be available to cover the route until he finds the next driver.

FlaSwampRat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Listen to what @Ridgeline says. He's a fleet owner and hires a number of drivers.

I second his statement. In the world of trucking there is RARELY EVER the need to give notice. The day you give notice is the day you are walking out the door. Just make sure the truck is clean and either the owner or someone from the company inspects it with you and signs off that it was returned in good condition. This avoids later surprises like a $500 deduction from your last paycheck for cleaning charges. Take pictures or video.

FlaSwampRat and Jinxninja Thank this.
  9. Jinxninja

Jinxninja Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Guess now would be a good time to make sure the chrome is all nice and polished.

FlaSwampRat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    That is a great line. Gotta respect that.

FlaSwampRat, Lepton1 and Jinxninja Thank this.
  11. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    1 month notice? 2 weeks max. No wonder why you are being taken advantage of.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.