Am I hireable? 21 with tickets

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dosel, Sep 22, 2018.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I frequently worked 4 12 hour shifts in security. I didn't make hardly any money at all, though. I'd net 1000 bi weekly. What's funny is when I told my "Captain" I was quitting to drive trucks it turns out he used to be a truck driver. He told me about all the sour points of truck driving and why he left. Now I am driving trucks and literally making twice that after taxes. lol. I net 1000 weekly on average. Gross 1500.

I left IT after 10 years or so retired from the state. I took a job in security to clear my head and just keep myself busy while I decided what I was going to do next. The long nights patrolling private property allowed me think and make a decision to start driving.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Fold_Moiler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    It is deff hard work. Even though the pay was good for being a noob places like GFS sysco us-foods paid even better. I'm only 5'7 150 soaking wet and eventually I could do huge cart loads

TravR1 Thanks this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    If you can stick with it, your body will adapt in the first month. I am thin and tall, but I toss 30 lb cases into the trailer and stack on pallets like 400 pieces a day. And I'm not in great physical condition, at least not like I used to be. I don't unload, I load. Same hard work, just different. The mileage pay is pretty good driving teams, but the accessory pay is what makes the difference.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Me 2

6. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    It’s funny how everyone has something bad to say about why they don’t like trucking.

There is a million different jobs out there driving a truck. Try a bunch until you find one you like.

I don’t like sitting in the truck all day and want to be home so I drive a mixer instead of tankers across the Midwest like I used to do. I’m guessing you don’t like sitting all day either.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  7. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    You can be hired. Take it from me.

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I
    Ive thought about that, whether or not I would really like driving 100% full time. I haven't done it yet so I can say for sure. Mostly it's pay driving me (no pun intended). I haven't driven 10 hrs a day everyday yet so I can't say for sure. I'd like to think I can take it, but time will tell when I switch over. I think I will be fine having the truck to myself and having the freedom of driving my schedule overnight every night. But yeah you are correct. There's different driving jobs to match different personalities. :)

Need4Speed and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  9. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Yeah I mean working 10-12 hours a day can get old. But my job is partially seasonal so it’s cool. In the winter I’ll be working way less which will be nice.

If you think about it nobody really works 8 hours a day anymore. My mom works for the government doing background checks. She works 50 hours a week. My girlfriend manages a restaurant she works 60. Same with all my friends they work long days too and I’m the only truck driver in my circle.

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    True. Most ppl need the extra hours at work just to get by nowadays. One of my friends is a welder working 55-60 hours a wk and the other is a 1st year union pipe fitter working 6 days a week

Fold_Moiler Thanks this.
  11. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Yep, I work bankers hours compared to most the contractors I bring concrete to.

Your pipe fitter friend is gonna be sitting pretty well in a few years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.