am I really a truck driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by msfern29, Mar 6, 2011.

1. silentlysailing

silentlysailing Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    DFW, TX
    For me, I consider anyone who drives a regular truck as in a straight truck or anything over 1 ton a truck driver. That includes buses as well.

I don't really start respecting people as truck drivers fully though until they respect themselves and present themselves in a professional manor though. Plus they need to be proud to do what they do and want to do their best.

I know that leaves out some steering wheel holders but that's how I feel.

Having large truck characteristics helps add validity IMO but it doesn't change respect, ie: air brakes, diesel engines, retarders.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    msfern29 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California

I do the same thing except backwards. I dispatch M-F and drive on Saturdays. If there is no loads to go on a Saturday, I wash 3-5 trucks and call it a day. How many of you have your dispatcher washing your rig on the weekend? LOL. I am also the relief guy during the week, if someone calls in sick or whatever, I get to go.

UTurn55 and msfern29 Thank this.
  4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    If you don't end up upside down in a ditch, you're a truck driver. :)

Truck + paycheck = Professional Truck Driver

If your first post started out without a question, nobody would of thought different. Stand proud and loud driver. :)

5. UTurn55

UTurn55 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Southern CA
    That never happened. I always made sure the inside was neat and clean before leaving it at the shop. If my dispatcher was going to wash the truck, I think I would have had to pre-wash!

I think it is great by the way whenever a dispatcher is or was also a trucker.

Flying Dutchman and msfern29 Thank this.
  6. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I haul steps and flats to local oil fields here in PA, seems like you can get into some hairy situations on those location roads if you aren't really careful. I say use your brakes and jakes to help you slow down, I usually jake down to 1600 and split my top gears going down unless I really need to stop in a hurry, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it asap man.

msfern29 and UTurn55 Thank this.
  7. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    That's the way this company likes to do it. There are a few exceptions, but most of us have driven and still hold a valid license just in case.

UTurn55 Thanks this.
  8. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Why do you care what some one that is not doing what you are doing thinks that you aren't a "real truck driver" ?
    Screw them and the horse they rode in on !!!
    If you are making a living then to helk with them !!!

msfern29 and AsphaltPilot Thank this.
  9. msfern29

msfern29 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2010
    SW Kansas
    I just saying, sharing, venting, whatever you want to call it.
    we run our own trailers, they not rented or leased, and we dont have that many extras to just come in drop and grab a different one. when I asked one of the mechanics, he told me not to take advice from that driver telling me trailer breaks dont count as breaks, he hard on his truck.
    Breaking: how I learned was pick where going to start downshifting (X telephone poles away, X lengths away, half block, whatever), get off accelerator, if not slowing/rpm - firm (dont slam on em) steady peddle break, off break, downshift, get off accelerator, slow again, downshift, and so on...I like to be in low range to make a corner, I just feel more in control, especially if loaded. tho many of the guys tell me it is unnecessary. I do not like to coast in neutral at all, tho many of the guys see nothing wrong with it. I can understand, if flat, wont roll, dont have to hold break at stop, but it's not always flat, and I have taught is wrong to hold the clutch to keep from rolling? maybe I'm wrong? (learn clutch "pass point", so can get going, but dont hold it there...isnt that hard on it? what makes it go out like riding the clutch?)
    Shifting: one of the guys told me something Sunday I hadnt thought of; I get aggravated at #26 cause I have to rev to shift every gear, up and down, think is my timing is off. he says "why?" I said, "cause it wont go, it's supposed to just slide in, and it wont, if push, it grinds, and have to rev it to make it slide it like it supposed to". he pointed out that "make it slide like it supposed to" is the key part of the description of my problem. I'm not hurting the truck, just learning how to make it do what it supposed to. and yes, I've seen some of our drivers just grind and shove it into gear anyway. he isnt sure what I'm doing wrong on that truck, but "slide like it supposed to is the goal, so whatever." and I only drive that one couple times every couple weeks.
    yes I am hard on myself. I really want to be good at this. he suggested a new theory: perhaps the reason a truck goes into the shop after I drive it, isnt me, but the one who usually drives it. I just got stuck reporting the problem, or bothered to look and find it.
    I dunno. but thanks for all your input. y'all are great.

10. Tarpitall

Tarpitall Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IL
    I'd like to address the problem you are having with slowing the truck down by downshifting. I'm "reading through the lines" here a bit, but it sounds like you are staying off the brakes and downshifting as much as possible to slow down. Since you are having difficulties with downshifting, I STRONGLY recommend that if you need to slow down quickly, (e.g. in traffic) just use your brakes. Don't bother with downshifting. Your downshifting skills will improve over time. For now, just concentrate on driving safely, and getting that truck slowed down safely when you need to. Practice downshifting when you are in situations where you can do it safely, like on level ground with plenty of time to get slowed down.

Getting good at shifting takes practice, practice, practice, then some more practice. In your situation, it will take even more (say it with me, lol) practice, because you are jumping from one truck to another. That is a good thing, believe it or not, because once you master all those trannys (or at least get pretty good), you will be able to jump in just about any truck at any company and be good to go with very little learning curve.

Me? I'm a pretty slow learner, and it took me a better part of a year to get halfway decent at driving a 10 spd. Now I have a local job where I'm driving a super 10 and a 13 spd. Again, it took a lot of practice to get used to those.

But, even though I can down shift pretty good, if I need to slow down fast, I don't down shift at all. Neither should you. Plus, when down shifting in normal situations, you don't need to go through every gear on your way down. Some of the old-timers may cringe at this and call me a lazy steering wheel holder, but usually I only down shift through 2,3, sometimes 4 gears before the truck comes to a stop. I use the brakes (both tractor and trailor). That's what they are for. Worn brakes can be replaced.

I hope this helps. Don't worry to much and don't get down on yourself. Remember this--yes, you are going to have problems and get frustrated. But all you are doing is learning how to do a job. No more, no less. It takes a long time to learn how to be a truckdriver. Stick with it, and don't worry about the other drivers. You are there to learn the job. The camaraderie will come with time.

msfern29 Thanks this.
  11. msfern29

msfern29 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2010
    SW Kansas
    the one's here; few 9 spd, some of the guys call them 5 speeds? I assume because is standard 5 gear pattern? I dunno. I've got to drive one 8 speed (had the coolest reverse, could shift low-5 in reverse, tho I dont think I want to be going that fast backwards). have couple 10 spd, which is what I learned on at the school I attended. and a few 13 spds.

what is a super 10?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.