Am I too old to get back into trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chazbro, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Do not wait for call backs from recruiters, because they selom make them do to the volume of calls that they have to make. Always get the name, number and email address of the recruiter, and do a follow up's with them until you get a yes or no answer.

RoadSideDown Thanks this.
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    So much for all the "bad" news.....now, for some good:

1) As has already been pointed out earlier/above, you're certainly not too old to get back into the game, if you want to. In fact--I think a lot of companies would appreciate the idea of having an older, more mature driver on board--especially given your previous experience. That too, will count for something later on.

2) HERE'S THE "REAL DEAL": IT'S A "DRIVER'S MARKET" RIGHT NOW. The trucking job scene is super-hot (as of this writing, anyway). Stick around, and after you get enough "new" experience (and maybe the appropriate endorsements, as needed)--you can (later) have your pick of trucking jobs.

Dysfunction is everywhere. Be persistent, stay the course, keep knocking....and you'll get there.

--Lual

homeskillet Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider training is good, but the company is known for very low pay. Your weekly pay won't be much.

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Chinatown (as usual) is right.

Yes, Schneider will indeed get you back on the road again....and their training is very good--but, unless you really know what you're doing--your paychecks there will pretty much suck as a new(er) driver.

You stand a much better chance of doing better financially if you instead go with one of his listed recommendations.

Look especially hard at the LTL sector. YRC/Yellow (listed above) is a good example. Last time I looked--their website tells how you can get free health insurance working there.

--Lual

RoadSideDown and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Honestly, if he were in our hiring area and found a way to get his CDL back, we'd likely hire him on the spot. Anyone with a clean record and years of experience can have the recent experience requirement waived if they pass our road test... and some of this is like riding a bike.

RoadSideDown and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I'd be almost ready to move in this case. So shneider tells me to get my permit which I did and call them back, which I did. Renewed my application, left a message and emails.

I log into the shneider account and see that the recruiter I was working with has withdrawn my application and reads "this job no longer availabe".

When I go to their website and job searches through other website, the job is still available. Something is really fishy is going on.

I looked into CRST and they mostly run teams and they run you as teams during your first year. I'm getting nowhere... Driver shortage my butt.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Are Schneider and CRST the only companies you've applied to?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.