Am I too old to get back into trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chazbro, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    BTW.....your location will hinder you to some extent. Just take the first reasonable offer and run with it. At our age a year zooms by in a flash. I'm almost 62. Started driving at 56.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Well I'm definitely going with shneider and at this point I'm all in. Went through the drug screening and they gave me another DOT physical wich is a full year now. My first DOT physical was for only 3 months because my sugar was 240 high.

I got my sugar down to normal and I now have a year medical card. They had to shave some hair off my chest cause I am basically bald. So far my recruiter has been very nice and very helpful. There's no lies or any miss leading info... I've already been driving over the road so I know what to expect.

The only thing that's different now is all the bells and whistles, lane departure, following too close braking and taking curves too fast sensors. I don't expect that to be a deterrent as I'm not in the habit of doing these things. I'm sure that as soon as some idiot driver cuts in front of me (that never happens) I'll find out how this braking system works.

from what I understand, Schneider uses a dash cam (outward facing) and mirror cams for the sides of the rig. I plan on buying one of my own that also has the mirror cams. I start this month on the 24th and hopefully it goes well.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Despite all the negative feedback the mega-carriers get here, going with Schneider does have its advantages.

Also--I never met an in-house instructor there that I didn't like. They were all amazing people--ver-ry professional, too.

Congrats...and best of luck to you!

Keep us posted on how it goes.

--Lual

5. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I had an Identical experience at Swift 5 1/2 years ago in Phoenix 1st rate training and entry into the industry. Was never locked in a basement on 75th St and forced into INDENTURED SERVITUDE.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.