Am I too short to drive

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lilbit68, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    My school truck was a cabover from the late 80's or early 90's. I still managed just fine, although my classmates that drove after me gave me a hard time if I didn't make some adjustments to the seat before turning it over to one of them!:biggrin_2559:

The way the new trucks are designed, there should be no issue for shorter people to drive them. All of the trucks I drove I had no problems with . . . mostly freightliners. I was able to move the seat far enough forward to reach the pedals and use the clutch with no problems. Tilt steering and telescoping steering are also wonderful additions!

The one truck I didn't like was a Volvo daycab. That was more because of the shifter positioning than anything else. 4th and 8th were a long reach! I needed longer arms for that one. Good thing is I didn't have to drive that one often.

lilbit68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    One thing I will add, especially if you're planning on eventually shifting from a large company to a smaller company... don't get locked into the "steering wheel holder" mentality. You go to a smaller company, there's not going to be any of this taking a truck into the shop for things a driver can do on their own. You tear something up, you're the one who's going to fix it. These large companies, be it CRST Van Ex., Swift, Schneider, etc... they teach you to be a steering wheel holder. It's not a good mindset to begin with, but definitely do not get locked into it if you intend on transitioning to a smaller company.

lilbit68 Thanks this.
  4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    im surprised no one has said this yet, but the holes the bolts holding your seat down go through are slotted holes so you can always loosen them up and slide the seat a little further forward as well

American Trucker

Lilbit, lilbit68 and wicked Thank this.
  5. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    How could you see out the mirrors with the seat slid that far forward? I'm visioning it & in my mind, the mirrors were a good foot & a half behind you in the driving position. :biggrin_2559:

6. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I was wondering who was going to find something else to pick on me about! :biggrin_25525:

Had no problem using the mirrors though!:biggrin_2559:

7. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    No matter how much you've been getting ragged on with the jokes about height, I'm more than willing to bet you never have - and probably never will - catch it as bad as the guy in the orange shirt. He is only 5' even, and he owns four dump trucks, one of which he drives. Although they're straight trucks, they're still Class 8 trucks, the same as a road tractor is.

[​IMG]

Lilbit and lilbit68 Thank this.
  8. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I can't tell you about the short guy.... But the tall guy is kinda funny looking!

9. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Oh, hell yeah he is. I swear, pity the poor ####### who should have the misfortune of looking like him.

10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The height jokes don't bother me in the least! I'm good natured about it, and always have been. I've heard some pretty good ones around here, let me tell you. There are several members that have come up with some that have me rolling on the floor!:biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

11. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    The question SHOULD be..Am I to tall to drive..? I am not a monster,6'2", but there have been a couple trucks I would have liked the seat to go back further,,cant imagine what folks over my height do..

Lilbit Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.