American trucks are so much better than European trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    What was the old Proverb...
    Oh.....
    "An Irishman is not drunk if he can grasp a blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth".....

Heh....
    My step-dad's dad had that framed and mounted in his garage....:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Irishtrucker

Irishtrucker Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    No thanks I'll just let you carry on oblivious to your own ignorance because lets face it you never lived there, you might have served there but so what.

Oh they're jokes LMAO, shame they don't sell a sense of humour or I would get you one for Christmas. As the man would say don't be a feckin gobshite.

Gobshite = Person who generally emits more air from their posterior than their other orifices, mostly with no nerve impulses traveling between grey matter and before mentioned orifices.

4. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    I would like to ask Jfaulk99 which countries in Europe he has visited and worked in.
    When he says they "stink", what exactly is his evidence for this?

5. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

I have done more than a few moto tours in Europe. I am betting he hasn't been to many places except tourist areas that always smell like trash.

6. jeepskate99

And, I think the Euro cabovers look ######.

7. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    We've lived and worked in both US and Europe, and one thing I've noticed is that European drivers adapt easily to working the US, but not so the the way round.

I think its the scale of the roads. Cabovers are the only trucks that can work in most European cities, because the buildings and roads go back hundreds of years, and were designed on a 'horse and cart' scale. Its a completely different set of driving skills.
    And of course they share the roads with trams and cyclists in a way that most US truckers rarely do.
    They are used to snow and rain, but few will have driven the open highways and desert conditions that the US OTR drivers have in some states. Like I say, different skills!

8. jeepskate99

Europeans are almost always better drivers. It's a cultural thing I think. I have been on a bike screaming through a corner on a mountain road in Europe and had no concerns about the car coming the other way on the narrow road. In the US I don't trust people to hold a lane on the interstates in a straight line.

9. Irishtrucker

Irishtrucker Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    England and mainland Europe i would agree with you, and as much as it pains me to say this some of the driving in Ireland is atrocious. Driving your rig down a country lane to come upon a flock of sheep with no farmer around, or there are 2 farmers in their cars blocking the road and having a chat LOL and they are not moving soon no matter how hot your load is. Seriously though the cul de sac i live on here is the size of a major road in Ireland.

You gotta love the Alps and Pyrenese for bikes though, did you ever make it to the Isle of Man?

10. jeepskate99

That was the first tour I ever took!!

11. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    France and Germany (vacations) and my wife's friend lived in Greece and visited Italy for a month then moved to the Ukraine. (not Europe I know but still not the US) her husband plays basketball. So my info on each country is either first hand or a VERY reliable 2nd hand. And the quote I posted about Venice and their sewers is fact, look it up. But in case you don't want to here's one link.
    Far more advanced, HA!

Now back to the trucks, unless you guys would like to continue the "my country is better which is why I don't still live there" match.

IMO Europe is like Vegas; good to visit, not to live.:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.