Americold, Carthage Missouri, underground HELL.

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Sad_Panda, May 3, 2007.

1. wild bird

wild bird Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2007
    I live in s. c.
    dear Sad Panda,
    Things have really change in the last 15 years. Where is your dispatcher in all this? when I drove the dispatcher was the trouble shooter and got things worked out like that? So sorry to hear you younger guys and gals are getting the short end of the stick so much.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kaydriver1

kaydriver1 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2007
    monett,missouri
    I live about 40 minutes from Carthage. Seen that place hundreds of times.I always wondered what it was like down in there. Sounds like I'm not missing much.

4. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Been there a couple of times.....got in in less than an hour....another 30 mins. I was gone.

Loved it!

5. Nick352

Nick352 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Neosho, Mo.
    Hi Guy's,

Well this is a real hoot. I am coming from Americold. I worked there for 9 years in the Inventory Control Department. I can tell you that orginization of manpower and hours were real bad.

I have seen times when we ran like clock work, then we would in less than 24 hours, be an entire day behind.

As inventory, I would work to solve allot of problems for the drivers in connection with temp. issues, damage and the like. Got a chance to talk with allot of the guys and gals out there. I felt real bad for them. There were times, when they would literally sit for more than a day there. I thought that was rediculous.

Now, I am getting into the truck driving industry. Should be a great learning experience for me. Kind of old to get into this, but am looking for my last job you could say.

Well, just saw the Americold name out there, and thought I would back up the drivers statments.

Be Safe and Have Fun !!!
    Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  6. rixcamp

rixcamp Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    Nick, Few things are better than an honest employee! Good going!

7. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

That place was HELL in the 90's only time I ever needed to chain up in Missouri since they did not think to clear their road.

8. Nick352

Nick352 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Neosho, Mo.

Hi Ironeagle2006,

Yeah, I was there in the llate 90's. That was in fact pain in the Arzz. That was during the old K-Mart days. What a joke that was. I would be surprised if you ever got out of there on time, and with a load that was not damaged by the loading process.

Allot of OS & D traffic came across my desk in those days.

Semper-Fi
    Nick

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I delivered there yesterday. I got my 53footer in the dock with no problem. The only problem I had was getting in and out. It was very busy there. From the time I checked in till I drove out I guess maybe 90 minutes went by.

10. joplinlocal

joplinlocal Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Joplin, MO
    I worked for Butterball / Con Agra in the Carthage "caves" when I first moved to town in the mid '90s. Thought it was neat working underground at first... but got old real quick. I never regretted quitting that one.

11. cl8936

cl8936 Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Bumping a really old post..

Hopefully this place has changed by now, I have an appointment there in 2hrs :/. I've been to other cave locations in kc and Springfield mo, Springfield underground has ton of space, kc caves have a lot of low pipes and very tight turns that you can barely maneuver with tandems all the way up. Hope I dont get stuck here too long so I can make it home for the 4th. I'll post how it turns out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.